Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Do the two wires coming off of the ignintion switch run into…

Good evening,Do the two white...
Good evening,Do the two white wires coming off of the ignintion switch run into the same green wire from the harness
10/16/2017
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Is the a replacement connector your trying to wire in to the switch?

Hi, Ron
No its not. Its been wires already. One of the white wires is not connected. Where does it go?

How many connector dose your switch have?

The switch has two connectors. And the white wire is coming out of the white connector.

There are no actual white wire on the factory connector. Would you be able to figure out where these go if you have a connector view of the connector?

I included a picture. Did tou receive it?

Okay I am going to post both connector for the ignition switch, the wire colors are matched to the pin they connect to. I did get the picture but your connector in the pic is a replacement connector. Match your wire to the OEM connector in the links below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q1cnvq9ym8pk6bx/Ign%20switch%20%231%20Oct%2016.pdf?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vhe9f7ztlyy8vmk/Igntion%20switch%20%232%20Oct%2016.pdf?dl=0

Does the wire coming off the starter route directly to the ignition switch?

No , the starter wire to the starter come from the starter relay . See the start circuit in the link below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rcajvia7e4pqln8/starter%20%20GM%20Oct%2016.pdf?dl=0

Does the starter relay wire connect in the cab or under the hood?

The starter relay connections are in the under hood fuse panel where the relay mounts, the start circuit work by the computer reading the key and once it has read the key the computer sends a ground to the relay and the relay engages the starter.

I need to know where the black wire coming off of the starter is supposed to route to
The wire is connected to the same terminal as the purple wire on the starter
The black wire looks to go from the starter to the cab area through the fire wall

If you look at the wiring diagram there is no black wire coming off the starter. Your should have a purpler start wire and the larger battery cable.

Thats what i needed to know... I figured it was just part of the kill switch hookup that i removed... Just needed to make sure

I would suspect that is the case, from the factory there is no black wire, just the purpler start wire and the large battery cable.

Just to clarify one other thing... There are two 16gauge wires coming off of the ignition switch... Both are white.. I spliced them together and routed them to the light green wire coming from the wire harness as the green wire is of the same guage.. Is this correct? I cannot tell for certain because the wiring diagram only shows the harness

I can not say that is correct because the factory wring for the switch dose not have any white wires and what you need to do if your rewiring it would be to match the colors up on the harness to the pins on the connector.

Thanks big guy... Ill look again for pin numbers on the connector... I didnt see any the first time... You have helped alot sir. Thanks again

There there, take a closer look and thank you as well.

Please take a moment to rate my service so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you again.

Okay everything has been done and the car still will not start?
How can i by pass the security or theft anti lock?

The security system can not be by-passed on the the 2001.

Thus woman is stuck big guy... Ive been all day trying to get her at least running to get to where she needs to be... This 2001 absolutely will not move and there is NOTHING i can do about it right here on the spot???
Can i just cut the wire to the security???

If the computer dose not read the key then the computer will not ground the starter relay. If you where able to get the wiring right have you tried running the pass lock relearn procedure to see if the key will reprogram?

What's the passlock procedure?

See it in the link below. Make sure you have a good key when doing this.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ck3l5wv4l8jrq6d/relearn%20Oct%2016.pdf?dl=0

Okay. Got into the settings to turn the alarm on off. But it still won't start. What's else could I check for?

I would start with making sure you have power at the starter relay on the two power pins as well as a ground from the computer in the crank mode. If you have power and ground then the purple wire out of the relay should engage the starter.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician