Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have to rely on my go to Guru's her at Just answer. I hope…

Good morning! I have to...
Good morning! I have to rely on my go to Guru's her at Just answer. I hope you can help.
So 2008 Chevy Impala V6. 77,000 miles. Problem:
Was getting a loud almost winding noise and steering was getting tight. (not horrible) but with each corner taken the noise was there and loud. Finally, was told the power steering pump needed to be replaced. Did that. Worked great, they got all the air out. Worked great for two weeks now the noise is back. Actually, this time we noticed some fluid needed to be added. Not much but some. HELP! Please. As the car is finally paid off and my only means of transportation and this is just so aggravating.
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/16/2017
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN

Hello and welcome!

My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question.

If the power steering pump was replaced but the power steering is making noise or hard to turn, this could be a few things. Either the new power steering pump is faulty, there is a restriction somewhere in the power steering lines or mechanically the power steering could be binding up from a binding steering/suspension component or even the steering column or rack could be binding up causing this condition.

how would I go about finding out which? Seems not too many want to even take this on. It's already cost $$$$$ to replace the pump.

A qualified tech would need to go through the steering/suspension and column to see if there is any binding. Then check the hydraulic system and possibly run new fluid through it to ensure there is no restriction.

There is also a power steering bleed procedure that needs to be done to help this condition. I see you have indicated they have done this? This must be done with the front wheels off the ground.

If the shop that did the work does not want to continue working on your vehicle, you can always call around to other shops in the area and find one that would be willing to work on your vehicle for this particular issue.

thank you gonna go with this info now

Your welcome!

I am glad I can help!

Please don't forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STARS or SMILEY FACES" for assisting you today.

Keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation at no further cost to you even after you rate my answer. Just reply back to me using this page and I will get it and get back to you ASAP!

I just ask that you allow time in between replies as I may be helping other customers or off line spending time with the family.

Also, if you are a member or if you have a subscription to the site, you still need to rate my answer in order for me to get credit for assisting you with your question.

You should see the rating system towards the top of the page.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks and have a great day!!

AMEDEE
AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN
AMEDEE
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN