Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2003 Cavalier -Fuel with a check engine light on as…

Customer Question
I have a 2003...

I have a 2003 Cavalier Bi-Fuel with a check engine light on as a result of pulling out an expired CNG tank. How can I bypass any codes from CNG system?

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you want to talk to a Chevy Mechanic?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: OK. As the Chevy Mechanic's Assistant I have a few questions for you. Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

Sorry for the delayed response. The light stays on.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Cavalier yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, I'm fixing it myself. I have removed the CNG tank completely. I have pulled a 1 inch squared module from fuse box but light stayed on. The module is named Alternate Fuel. I don't have a code reader to clear codes so I don't know the codes.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Car has 68k miles and runs OK on gasoline. Trying to improve MPG so I removed the heavy tank and harness. Just want to turn off the Engine light.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Chevy
10/7/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 7 months ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question

The ECM sets a fault code which turns on the check engine light when either it detects a fault in the system or fails to get a signal from a component tied into it. This means that there is nothing you can do to prevent it from coming on yourself. The only way to accomplish this would be to send your ECM out to an ECM repair/rebuild shop and have them reprogram it to remove the CNG parameters.

Thanks for responding to my question.
I also have a 2001 Cavalier Bi-Fuel and its Check Engine light could be turned off by removing the "CNG" 10Amp fuse. Is there anything, or a combination of things, that can be unplugged or disconnected that may tell the car to ignore the CNG system? How integrated is the CNG system in the 2003 Cavalier? Is reprogramming the ECM the only way to eliminate the Check Engine light?I just wanted to lighten the car by removing the heavy tank and harness. Is there a way to simulate the presence of a CNG tank? What about the electronics left on the CNG tank collar? Can those be used to trick the ECM to "see" the CNG tank and not generate errors?

HI,

If you leave the electronics plugged up, it should fool the system and not generate errors

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.If not, at this time please RATE the answer.

Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.

Hi Eric, sorry for the delayed response. I've been sick lately and haven't been able to test what you suggested. I think. Y Friday or Saturday I'll be able to lift the tank back into the trunk to connect the electronics and test the check engine light.

HI,

no problem.

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager