Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2002 Chevy Tahoe with new alternator and battery…

Customer Question
I have a 2002...

I have a 2002 Chevy Tahoe with new alternator and battery purchased Dec 2016. The vehicle was driven regular with no problem. Sep 2017 I parked vehicle for 7 days when returned all system was dead. I received a jump and drove approx. 35 miles with no problem. I also notice vehicle volt meter never drop below 14. 3 more days without driving and discovered battery was dead again. What could be causing this sudden problem.

Mechanic's Assistant: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?

Before jumping batter meter indicated 5.0V (poor) after jumping checked 12.5V (good). I just exchanged battery today however sale person tell me battery had low charge but good and I should replace alternator. My alternator indicates a 14.0V (strong output)

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Tahoe yourself? What have you tried so far?

Thinking of having elec. system checked by a pro. in my area.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, thanks

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Chevy
10/6/2017
Chevy Mechanic: AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN replied 10 months ago
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

It sounds like there is a battery draw when the vehicle is turned off.

Would you like a test to help pinpoint the battery draw on the vehicle?

Certainly. One moment please

To diagnose this condition, you are going to have to pinpoint what is drawing the battery down when the engine is turned off. To do this, you will need to disconnect the negative battery terminal from the battery and put a test light between the negative cable and the negative battery terminal. With the key out of the ignition switch and the vehicle just sitting there (make sure the doors are closed) the test light should not light up bright. If it does, there is a draw that will need to be diagnosed.

Then from there, to find out what circuit the battery draw is on, disconnect one fuse at a time until the test light goes out. When it does, you have found the circuit that the draw is on. If you use a voltmeter to do this, anything over 100ma is too much draw.

I am glad I can help!

Please don't forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STARS or SMILEY FACES" for assisting you today.

Keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation at no further cost to you even after you rate my answer. Just reply back to me using this page and I will get it and get back to you ASAP!

I just ask that you allow time in between replies as I may be helping other customers or off line spending time with the family.

Also, if you are a member or if you have a subscription to the site, you still need to rate my answer in order for me to get credit for assisting you with your question.

You should see the rating system towards the top of the page.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks and have a great day!!

Hello there!

I am just checking in to see how things are going and to see if you need any further assistance?

If so, please let me know as I will be happy to help.

Best Regards,

Customer/p>