Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

The gear shift button on my automatic Chevy Sonic sticks and…

Customer Question
The gear shift button...

The gear shift button on my automatic Chevy Sonic sticks and i can't get key out,,,,,

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?

It iS A 2012 BUT I BOUGHT IN IN 2013

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sonic yourself? What have you tried so far?

I WAS HOPING I2T WOULD BE UNDER WARRANTY,,,,,i AMYEAR OLD WIDOW, ONLY HAS 26000 MILES ON IT

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

N

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Chevy
10/6/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Chris (aka-Moose), Technician replied 8 months ago
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• Although I work here everyday, please understand it is not all day and rarely morning time.
  • To get the most from me and the best experience, please give me the best details you can.
  • The website will offer you a phone call option for more $$. Some I do fulfill and some I do not.
  • Thanks, let's get started. If I upload dropbox links, without the app use the box in the top right for direct download.

Are you planning to attempt the repair yourself or just looking for the likely fix needed before going to a shop?

I can't do it myself, a 72 yr old widow would it be part of power train and be under warranty, or is it an easy fix

This will not be covered under warranty unless you purchased an extended warranty. It is covered under the bumper to bumper warranty, not the powertrain warranty. The tech will take apart the shifter first to make sure there is nothing inside causing it to stick and bind prior to trying to fix it without parts and or by replacing the shifter.

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5 star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris