Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My 1998 chevy tahoe will start and run but shuts off after a…

Customer Question
My 1998 chevy tahoe...

My 1998 chevy tahoe will start and run but shuts off after a few minutes, had to replace the steering column because the shifter handle broke off at the column. has good fuel delivery,

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

Before changing the steering column, it was doing ok on fuel milage, and it still starts great now

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Tahoe yourself? What have you tried so far?

Have a private mechanic, he has changed ignition switch[my old one from old column]checked fuel flow, he says it may be losing spark

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Chevy
10/5/2017
Chevy Mechanic: AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN replied 10 months ago
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN

Hello and welcome!

My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question.

Have you checked for codes in the computer?

Are there any anti theft lights or security lights on or flashing on the cluster when you turn the key on or when trying to start the engine?

my mechanic was suppose to check for codes yesterday, but he has not gotten back to me , dont know on the lights

Ok, well that does not give me much to go on.

i am not with the vehicle at this time

Ok, no problem.

Please reply back to me when you have this information.

I will be looking forward to your reply.

Amedee

ok, please give me the information i need to contact you again

We need to check for codes in the computer, we need to see if the engine has spark when cranking or when it stalls out and we need to see if the security light is on or flashing when this condition occurs.

i talked to my mechanic and he could not find any fault codes

Ok, and I need to know about the security light and the fuel pressure as well.

no security light, he said when he was cranking, he pushed the valve going to the injectors and it shot gas 15 ft in the air

Ok, now we need to see it if runs on starting fluid.

could there be a defect in the security plug at the ignition on the junkyard column?

Not if the security light is not on or flashing.

what about the crank sensor

YES, that would be possible.

why the need to try starting fliud

Would you be willing to speak on the phone?