Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Just had the flywheel, clutch kit, and master cylinders, and…

Just had the flywheel...

Just had the flywheel, clutch kit, slave and master cylinders, and clutch pedal replaced. now they say engine crankshaft is bad. not sure what to do next?

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the clutch? Has it been slipping or sticking?

96K

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chevy?

2003 silverado 4.3 v6 5 speed transmission nothing was wrong with truck before clutch pedal broke

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Silverado yourself? What have you tried so far?

I had an independent repair shop do the work

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

What possibly could have happened that broke the engine

10/5/2017
TIM MOHR
TIM MOHR, ASE MASTER TECH

Hi, my name is ***** ***** is the vehicle doing now?

at 25K rpms engine is shaking in or out of gear
do you have information provided before I was transfered to you

Yes, and this happened after the clutch was replaced?

I have taken it back 4 times, and the latest action they dropped the trany and ran engine with just the flywheel attached.

when they replaced the clutch kit, did it come with a new flywheel?

oem flywheel was resurfaced, then I was told a new flywheel was need ed and the clutch kit was replaced under warranty.

so they did install a second flywheel?

a second flywheel was installed, sach brand

ok, if another flywheel was used and it still does the same thing, then this rules out the flywheel and the clutch, but it is doubtful the crnk is the problem, most likely a harmonic balancer, why do they say the crank is bad?

because the shaking or vibration is still happening. so they blame it on engine crank. not sure if balancer or pulley was checked

there is really no way the crank can do this, they are balanced by drilling holes in certain spots, so there is no way for a weight to fall off and put it out of balance, you need to have them check the harmonic balancer, it it very doubtful that the crank is causing this,Tim

can the harmonic balancer be replaced without having to pull the transmission?
I ask because I no longer trust repair shop

Yes, the balancer is on the front of the engine, it is where the crank pulley attaches,Tim

is this something I could do myself?

if you have the right tools, you remove the serpentine belt, then the center bolt holding the balancer on, then a special tool is used to pull the balamcer, most parts houses like autozone will loan you the tool for a small deposit, they are pretty easy to replace,takes about an hour,Tim

thanks for your response. I do not want to spend the money to buy a new vehicle at this time. I am not sure why I was told the harmonic balancer was clean! I don't think that is something that can be visually seen.

Anytime my friend, please dont forget to rate me, so I can get credit for helping, thanks,Tim

TIM MOHR
TIM MOHR, ASE MASTER TECH