Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 1998 5.7 Chevy 2500 truck. Original problem was a…

Customer Question
I have a 1998...

I have a 1998 5.7 Chevy 2500 truck. Original problem was a bad valve. Replaced valve. Now I have a cam shaft/crank shaft correlation problem. I changed my distributor. Brought the truck to a Chevy dealer. He stated it could be timing chain and gears. He stated that the timin is off by 20 degrees. Did not solve the problem. The truck will run but if I line up the marks, the rotor is either in front or behind the number 8 on the distributor. The timing retard stats the the car is positive 30 degrees in one position and negative 23 degrees in the other position. I know that the timing needs to between 2 and negative 2 degrees. How can I get a half a tooth corrected

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles on the car? How responsive has your car been lately?

146.000

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your 2500?

1998

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 2500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, everything above

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I do not think so

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Chevy
10/5/2017
Chevy Mechanic: GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician replied 7 months ago
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician

Hi there, I am CAm.

Have you done any repairs to the distributor? Worn gear or shaft installed 180 from the gear have been known to cause this.

Brand new factory distributor replaced from the dealer machanic and I even verified that is was in correctly with the 3 marks on the distributor.

OK, and you cannot turn the distributor enough to compensate for its variance? Remember you need to shut it off, then start it and rev it over 1000 to update the reading each time.

Correct, I have followed the directions that the. Truck needs to be over 1000 RPMs. And I have shut the car off and even unplug the battery to ensure fresh start.

When move it only a bit. does it register ANY change in the reading?

No. The rotor does not line up exactly on the number eight on the distributor. I can put the mark a little bit before or after the number eight mark on the distributor. The distribute it is off Buy a half a tooth. Either 22° negative or 29° positive. I've change the distributor the timing chain and gears. Could it be a cam shaft problem or a computer problem. This never happened until I blew a valve.

Ok, lining it up on the 8 is only to get it on the correct tooth, and it should only line up with the 8 prior to dropping it in, after that it will rotate a bit off. Then you will turn the distributor like the old school systems to fine tune the adjustment.

On a 1998 Chevy 5.7 is electric Timey the distributor is keyed and cannot be adjusted. I have tried adjusted it without the key no difference in the degrees it off.

The 5.7Does allow fine tune adjustment. The distributor WILL turn, IF it will not then you have the incorrect distributor.

Advancing the timing is done electronically but the timing must be set, and while we call it timing, its actually correcting the Camshaft and crankshaft correlation. Cam sensor is in the distributor, crank sensor is under the front.

Attached you will find the GM document that outlines this.

The distributor only move a hair and her only change it the most 2°

Then the hold down is wrong that holds the distributor in. It should be a tab that slides over and pushes down, Exactly like the older 350's.

But when I move the The distributor. The retard does not change.

Thats why you have to turn it off, then bring RPM over 1000 to update it.

It won't be a live reading.

I do bring the car over 1000rpm to check for timing retard.

Then I think your ECM may be the issue. It should recognize the change and update it. Have you changed it or had it updated?

No I have not changed or updated it. I never had this problem until a broke a valve.

Strange then. I have never had one do this.

But I still want to go back to the hold down, is it fixed solid on the distributor?

Two pieces. Notch so it will not move. The original was the same too

Ok, this is very strange then. All I can think is the timing is off still, but why you cannot get it in check is new. Normally its a mechanical issue.

Did you have it lined up directly on the #8 cast into the lip with the bolt for the hold down lined up PRIOR to using the distributor in?
I know we are going back on this, but something simple seems to be off.

It will not line up directly on the cast 8 it will be in front of it or behind it about an 1/2 inch. I feel this is my problem. Both timing heat are line up anTDC is lined up with the gears. This is the third distributor that has the same outcome. Why I think cam shaft got damaged from driving with a bad valve or computer. I can't get the distributor to line up exactly or over the cast 8.

Ok, but with the harmonic balancer lined up on the V and notch, it should.

I need you to tell me, you are not trying to get the 8 lined up AFTER it sits down in the bore?

Then why does all the litature state that the rotor needs to line on the mark for 1 cylinder TDC?

The engine timing is #1 TDC on the crank, and by design, they have that cast 8 in the lip to get the proper gear tooth, so when you have it lined up, as you drop the distributor in, it rotates the the #1 TDC position when seated.

What are reasons for it not to line up?

That I don't know. Every single one of these I have worked on, and the are MANY, I was able to rotate the distributor to adjust the timing as needed.

GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician