Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

The blower fan doesn't work and I just replace the resistor…

Customer Question
The blower fan doesn't...

The blower fan doesn't work and I just replace the resistor and all it does is Click when I switch it to number 5 speed

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

From the resistor

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chevy?

03 2500hd

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I replaced the old resistor and the new one still does the same thing also I replaced the speed control switch

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I bought a new relay but can't seem to find where it is located

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Chevy
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/3/2017
Chevy Mechanic: George H., ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician

Hello I will help,

Did you see any burnt or melted wiring on the resistor connector?

Do you have a voltmeter to check the circuit if I guide you?

Have you jumped power to the motor to be sure it runs?

Not yet...I was going to get a volt meter and figured I'd ask on here first...the old speed selector switch was fried completely melted and the conector I cleaned up as well as I could. I used a jumper at the conector and it's still doing the same thing

You will need to replace any connectors that are fried. Cleaning them up will lead to future failures.

The dealer will have a pigtail kit or Rockauto.com has them online. Solder connections to prevent unwanted resistance. It takes just a little resistance to prevent the motor from running.

Let me known how I can help, using a voltmeter will narrow down the fault to a single connection or component so it is worth getting. A set of jumper leads to see if the motor will run is helpful as well.

George H.
George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician