Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My Equinox is bubbling after I changed the radiator. 120000…

Customer Question
My Equinox is bubbling...

My Equinox is bubbling after I changed the radiator

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Has any work ever been done on the radiator?

120000 the radiator was leaking so I changed it then bubbles start coming and the car gets hot

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Equinox?

06

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Equinox yourself? What have you tried so far?

Change head gasket slow out holes everything still bubbles like a fish tank

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Could it be the heater core

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Chevy
10/3/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Randall C, ASE Master Tech replied 7 months ago
Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech

Hello, Can you reword the question?I understand bubbling but what all did you repair and what started first and when and initial symptoms?

It was peeking coolant so instead of repairing the radiator I bought a new one and put it in myself then after that it started to bubble and got hot didn't do this before I changed the radiator so I took it to a mechanic who changed head gasket level the head still having prob water pump is fine

I am going to opt out as this may be a question I can not answer 100%, Another expert will be along soon to continue helping

Mechanic did all test said the car but the bubbling won't stop
Chevy Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 7 months ago
Gunvir Singh

Hello, let me review your request. Please stand by.

Chevy Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 7 months ago

Do you start noticing the bubbles as soon ayou start the vehicle or after running it for a while?

After running it awhile and it continues after the engine is turned off
Chevy Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 7 months ago

Do the radiator fans come on when the engine gets warm?

Could the heater core be the problem where can this air be coming from
Chevy Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 7 months ago

If the heater core is leaking or pulling air you will notice a coolant leak at the front passenger floor.

No leaking in car could it be a blocked hose the engine is fine didn't start till I changed the radiator
Chevy Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 7 months ago

Not a blocked hose. How did you check the water pump?

Rather continue online
Chevy Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 7 months ago

No need to call. Ignore pop up. Online is fine

what do you think could be the problem?
Chevy Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 7 months ago

I will make sure with the technician that the cooling system was bled properly. Since you have already checked the water pump, fans are working when needed and heater core is not leaking. Need to put a cooling pressure test and make sure if the pressure drops. If good, next step will be to check the compression and cylinder leakdown to confirm proper head repair.

The mechanic said the engine block can't be pressure tested.
It wasn't running hot before the radiator change and the mechanic didn't find anything wrong with the engine
Chevy Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 7 months ago

The compresion test and leak down test will help to find out that the cylinder head is not damaged even if it was resurfaced before installation. A combustion vblock test will need to be doen to check for damaged block.

Thereis a possibility that the system was not bled properly after radiator replacement and that lead to overheateing and then internal engine damage.

Could it be something other than the engine?
It hasn't been driven since the radiator change
Chevy Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 7 months ago

Make sure the thermostat is working under specifications. Since All the other components like water pump, radiator, fans check out fine. I will still recommend to pressure check the cooling system and bleed the system since it happened right after the radiator replacement. If everything else good then need to perform tests on the engine.

Chevy Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 7 months ago

Do you have any other questions?

Chevy Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 7 months ago

Please read this:

Understand it's not one answer and done. We can communicate back and forth many times.

1. I am an independent auto mechanic and do not work at or for Just Answer.

2. When you're pleased or happy with my assistance or efforts to help you, at the top of the screen please rate me .

3. I only get credit for my work from your question value deposit when you rate me on this screen. Rating does not close the post and you're more than welcome to follow up.

Thanks for using Just Answer

Tried all that still bubble after running for a couple minutes and gets worse as the car gets hotterthe mech says he thinks the line is blocked we tried blasting the hole and tubes but no change
Chevy Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 7 months ago

I will opt out and let another expert assist you

Chevy Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Do you still need help?

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician