Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

It sounded like I ran over something, then I got a warning…

Customer Question
It sounded like I...

It sounded like I ran over something, then I got a warning about not going over 107 MPH while the car was going less than 10 MPH. Now It wont go forward or backwards, makes a horrible clunking noise, and jerks back and forth instead of moving

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '10 Chevy?

Its a 08 impala LT

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Impala yourself? What have you tried so far?

I took it to a mechanic, but I think they are trying to take advantage of me. They told me that they need to replace the whole transmission and the radiator and it will cost voer $4000

Mechanic's Assistant: When was your transmission fluid last checked?

It was checked about 2 weeks ago when I got an oil change

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

When towing the vehicle, the front wheels appeared to be stuck in park mode, and wouldn't rotate without making a loud clicking noise

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Chevy
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/3/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 10 months ago
Gunvir Singh

Hello, let me review your request. Please stand by

Chevy Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 10 months ago

Did you notice any transmission fluid leaks?

I did not.
Chevy Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 10 months ago

Did you check the transmission fluid for any metak particles present or burnt fluid?

I don't know if the mechanic I took it to checked that. I haven't had access to the car myself for 3 days
Chevy Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 10 months ago

Roughly how many miles do you have on the vehicle?

149,000
Chevy Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 10 months ago

Did you ever notice any transmission related issues before?

I haven't noticed any. The issue happened suddenly when I was turning off of the highway.
Chevy Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 10 months ago

The symptom you are experiencing can be caused by a damaged axle, faulty sensor in transmission or a worn transmission. Need to start by checking the fluid or any burn or metal particles. Also check efor damaged cv axles. If good need to scan for any transmission related codes. IF everything else is good then there is a possibility of a worn transmission. Do you know if the price 4K is for a used ot rebuilt transmission?

They told me that it was the price to replace the transmission and radiator. They didn't specify used or rebuilt.
Chevy Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 10 months ago

I'm sure in 4k you are been offered a rebuild transmission, a used one will cost you approx 2000$