Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

About two months ago my automatic locks stopped working on…

Customer Question
About two months ago...

About two months ago my automatic locks stopped working on my 2002 Tahoe. They don't engage when putting it in drive nor do they work with the fob or the button in the door. Replaced some fuses and the relay I think? Still nothing. Been using the locks manually, but now when I open the door the alarm starts sqwacking. I have to push the unlock button in the fob even tho it isn't working. Very very annoyed

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fob's battery?

No. But the locks don't engage with the door button or automatically when putting in drive

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Tahoe yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I am fixing myself. I listed above what I've tried so far

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Chevy
10/2/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 10 months ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Since you have no power locks with the interior power lock button as well as with the remote this indicates an internal electrical fault in the BCM ( body control module) computer.This computer sends the signals to operate the locks to lock and unlock them with the remote or the interior power lock button.The BCM circuits fail internally in the BCM and causes this fault with the BCM needing replaced.I have had to replace it several times before.

What has to be done from here is to have the fault codes checked/read out to see what codes are set in all computers ( mainly the BCM ) using a scan tool that that can communicate with the BCM.Once this is done any codes then set need diagnosed to then locate and repair this issue here.The scan tool is also used to monitor the BCM signals to help determine it as the cause here as well.But this was a common fault with the BCM needing replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Sooo I basically have to take it to a repair shop to have the codes read??
the scan tool you're talking about? Is it the same tool used to diagnose all computer issues with a vehicle?

It does require a higher end scan tool that can read the BCM for codes and to observe the data signals.This is a more complex scan tool that most cheap code readers will not work with.So this has to be checked and done by someone who has this scan tool to do this unfortunately and if you do not have this tool or know someone who does then a shop or dealer would have to check this.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time,this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete