Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2003 avalanche - climate control is manual. Works fine for…

Customer Question
2003 avalanche - climate...

2003 avalanche - climate control is manual. Works fine for awhile when vehicle is started, then air stops coming out of the vents - blower still on and I can feel cool air at the vents. sometimes it comes back on, sometimes not.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant level? Have you checked for a leak in the radiator?

No leaks

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Avalanche yourself? What have you tried so far?

I had the A/C compressor replaced a few months ago, it quit. I also had the blower motor resistor replaced at the dealer because it would only blow on high. It's a 2003 so there's no cabin filter.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

When it stops blowing air out of the vents, I can still hear the blower motor on and it sounds like it is blowing, just very little air coming out of the vents.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Chevy
10/2/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 8 months ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

When it stops blowing and you hear the blower can you adjust the blower speeds and does the blower fan sound different with each speed?

Let me know,thanks Pete

Is this only occuring with the ac on and if you switch to heat does the air flow come back right away or after some time?

No. Ac or heat, it's the same. With the blower on high I can feel a slight amount of air from the vent, it's cold for ac warm if I turn it to heat.
Sometimes it comes back on, sometimes not. Doesn't seem to matter if it ac or heat.

O.k.,does the air flow output improve at all when set to defrost or heater outlets instead of vents?

Doesn't seem to.
It acts like it's still blowing, but something is blocking the air from going to the vents.
Acts like the blower is working but something is stopping the air from going to the vents.

O.k.,this is either due to the cage fan coming loose from the blower motor itself as the motor can be heard to spin and operate but if the cage fan is not spinning as fast with it this causes this fault with the blower motor needing replaced or an issue with a blockage inside the heater/ac box under the dash with the heater/ac box needing removed and taken apart for inspection for any loose foam blocking air flow or a broken door or component inside of it blocking air flow.These are the most common causes I have run across several times.

The blower motor needs removed first and checked to see if it is free spinning on the cage and if it is then it needs replaced.If it is o.k. then the dash will need removed as well as the heater/ac box to check for any restrictions in it.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete