Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Can I get some help locating the orifice tube location?

Customer Question
Perhaps an expanded diagram? Also...
can I get some help locating the orifice tube location? Perhaps an expanded diagram? Also can I get one for the expansion valve?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Chevy
10/1/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Roy, import/domestic specialest replied 8 months ago
Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

it is located at the evaporator inlet inside the line.

1. Recover the refrigerant from the A/C system. Refer to Refrigerant Recovery and Recharging.
2. Remove the evaporator hose retaining nut from the evaporator.
3. Use the J 26549-E in order to remove the expansion tube (1).
4. If the expansion tube is stuck perform the following:

* Remove as much of the impacted residue as possible.
* Carefully apply heat with a heat gun, or hair dryer 7 mm (0.25 in) from the dimples on the inlet pipe.
DO NOT overheat the pipe.
* While applying heat, use the J 26549-E in order to grip the expansion tube. Use a turning motion along with a push-pull motion to loosen the impacted expansion tube and remove.

Installation Procedure

Zoom/Print

Important:
* Install the shorter screen end (3) first into the evaporator.

* Coat the O-ring seal (2) with 525 viscosity refrigerant oil.

Use the J 26549-E in order to install the expansion tube.
1. Install new sealing washers to the evaporator tube.
2. Install the evaporator hose to the evaporator.

Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice.

3. Install the evaporator hose retaining nut to the evaporator.

Tighten the nut to 16 N.m (12 lb ft).

4. Evacuate and recharge the A/C system. Refer to Refrigerant Recovery and Recharging.
5. Leak test the fittings of the components using the J 39400-A.

rear has a real expansion valve attached to the evap core

Roy

1. Remove the evaporator core.
2. Gently remove the sealer packed around the thermal expansion valve (TXV).

Important: Note the mounting location and the orientation of the tube on the core.

3. Remove the clip retaining the capillary tube to the evaporator core.
4. Disconnect the evaporator tube connections from the TXV.
5. Remove the TXV from the core.

Roy -Thanks for the info. I clicked the link that I thought would show a diagram of where the expansion tube and it took me to page that required a username and password. Can you send the diagram as a png like the expansion valve?

it does not show it inside the line. it is inside the line from the condenser to the evap. release the line to the evap and inside that line is the tube. use a pair of needle nose pliers to remove

Roy

roy - I finally got to everything changed out. New Dryer, orifice tube, expansion valve, and high side connector. Did a vacuum test held -29mm for an hour or so. recharged system and I have 35 low side and 145 high side. but still don't have cold air. What next? is it possible that door or flap that mixes cold or hot air is not working? if not how do I test? Help me out.

okif you touch the inlet line to the evap, is it cold???

if you change the range from cold to hot can you hear the blend door motor working???

Roy

the inlet line is the one that comes off the dryer? or is it the one that has the orifice tube in it? I'm taking the dash apart to see if I can hear anything better or see anything better.

the inlet is where the orfice tube line is located

no, you should be able to hear it without removing anything

any update??

how are you making out??

please take a moment and rate my service 3 stars or better. it is the only way the site will pay me for my efforts.

Roy