Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My 2005 chev duramax diesel blows the duct pipe from the…

Customer Question
My 2005 chev duramax...

My 2005 chev duramax diesel blows the duct pipe from the turbo at the coupling on top of the engine

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the engine? And when was it last serviced?

2005 with 6200 miles

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Turbo yourself? What have you tried so far?

Anew boot and clamp. also tried re locktite

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The problem comes when it's under load and the turbo kicks in

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Chevy
10/1/2017
Chevy Mechanic: GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician replied 10 months ago
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician

Hi there, I am Cam. I am a GM factory trained tech and the local diesel tech.

So if I understand this correctly, the boot is popping off the turbo not the boot from the pipe? Is this correct?

If so then let me verify the clamp is the proper turbo clamp?
IF so then the fix is this. Take the boot and clamp off, use brake clean to thoroughly clean the turbo outlet, pipe and the inside of the boot so NO OIL is left. Then apply a small amount of RTV silicone to the surface of each, install and clamp it, then allow 8 hours for RTV to cure. Make sure the boot is installed fully and the edge of the clamp is beyond the lip on the pipe and turbo so it hangs on.

talk tome on the phone ***************

We need to use the other service, I cannot directly call otherwise.