Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2001 astro van radiator plug seems to have broken. drained…

Customer Question
2001 astro van radiator...

2001 astro van radiator plug seems to have broken. drained it. put in flush, ran it, drained it, flushed until water was clear, tried to tighten but will not tighten. pulled it out, appears to be missing some of the body of the plug as compared to the online pictures

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Has any work ever been done on the radiator?

180k, radiator has been flushed twice

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Astro yourself? What have you tried so far?

I do my own work. tried nothing yet, pulled the plug out and came online to see what i could learn

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that i know of

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Chevy
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/1/2017
Chevy Mechanic: GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician replied 10 months ago
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician

Hi there, I am Cam, a factory trained GM technician.

Do you have a photo of the area that I can see what you are looking at?

how do i send it
never mind i see the attach file

ok

Ok so the threads look ok, that suggests the issue is in the radiator itself and the options for that are to replace the radiator or see if a radiator shop can put a new tank on.

bad news

Im sorry to say it is, yes.