Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Coolant coming out of overflow. 157000. Haven’t really

Customer Question
Coolant coming out of...

Coolant coming out of overflow

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles on the car? How has your mileage been lately?

157000

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chevy?

Haven’t really rested mileage to be honest

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Chevy?

2007 classic Chevy Silverado Duramax

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Silverado yourself? What have you tried so far?

Added coolant. That’s it. Been reading about diff things that could be wrong

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

One other thing. There’s a small hose that I replaced about a year ago?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Chevy
9/30/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician replied 7 months ago
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician

Coolant pushing out of the overflow tends to be caused by over pressurization of the cooling system, and that symptom typically comes from failed head gaskets.

I would perform a block check test on this truck, it's a chemical test that detects the presence of exhaust gases in the cooling system. If it fails the block check, you have a head gasket failure. The tester is about $30, if you don't want to pay a repair shop to do it, and it is a definitive test. I do this first in many cases, when a car or truck is overheating, because if it's a head gasket, I want to know before I do anything else to the cooling system, to save time and money.

Please take a moment to rate my answers, that's how I get compensated. If you have further questions, I am always happy to follow up with you.

Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician