Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

No xm radio. Factory. 2012 suburban. Checked fuses and

Customer Question
No xm radio Mechanic's...

No xm radio

Mechanic's Assistant: Is this an aftermarket stereo, or did it come with the car?

Factory

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chevy?

2012 suburban

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Suburban yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, checked fuses and called xm and tried touching the battery terminals together

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No rear ac or radio either

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Chevy
This is a more in depth about it. 2012 suburban lt 1500 stock head unit, was listing to Sirius and all of a sudden it just quit on me, am/fm/aux and cd all work buttons all work for it, but when you go to select a Sirius station it won't let you can't even go to channel 1, subscription is good and I tried the touching the cables together nothing also tried refreshing it nothing. Also rear ac/radio unit on back of center console not working also songbird turn on and I tried too get into it with my snap on scan tool for rear ac but says no communication. fuses good, not sure if it ties in with the Sirius or not either. Anyone got a good guess?
9/30/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician replied 10 months ago
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician

Check the fuse labeled RDO in the underhood fuse block. Should be fuse 42. It goes to the digital radio receiver (Sirius XM), and the rear seat audio. Do you have a test light, can you check for power at that fuse location?

Fuse is ok and checked it with a test light was ok

OK, the next step would be to check for power at the digital radio receiver, and at the rear seat audio display. I am attaching a schematic so you can see which pin/wire it is at each one. There is a junction block in between the fuse and these devices, perhaps we are losing power there, so testing for power right at each component will tell us that.

The radio itself works like am/fm cd aux that's what is throwing me off, also the rear ac/radio if it's possibly tied in to it
I don't have access to remove the radio

The rear audio and XM receiver work off the same branch from the RDO fuse. Even though the fuse is good, and other devices on that circuit have power, they're wired in parallel, so a bad wire at the junction block (for example) can cause the problem you're experiencing.

The digital radio receiver is behind the glove box, can you access that?