Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I'm a retired mechanic. I have my friend, a chevy dealer…

Customer Question
I'm a retired mechanic...

I'm a retired mechanic. I have my friend, a chevy dealer mechanic working on my 2008 suburban 2500 series with a 6.0 engine. it has A very frozen starter mount bolt, that will not break lose. he has tried everything. he is thinking to cut off starter, break off bolt, drill and easy out it out. I'm very concerned it is a very difficult problem

Mechanic's Assistant: When you turn the key, do you get a single loud click, or a series of rapid ones?

Starter is defective, I'm sure of that

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Suburban yourself? What have you tried so far?

Torches, penetrating oil, snap on tool for frozen bolts

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I'm a mechanic 45 years. I personally have never had this problem before

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Chevy
9/29/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician replied 10 months ago
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician

That's in a tough spot, as well, since the starter doesn't really come out of that hole very well.

I am with him, though: cut the starter off, as best as he can anyway. You could cut the head off the bolt, but that still won't give the starter enough room to come out of there, by my recollection. I think I would probably take an air hammer to the starter in an attempt to simply break it in two at the aluminum end, so at least the motor would come out separately, and then cutting the head off the bolt might make more sense. Leaving a piece of the bolt behind will make extraction much, much easier. However, you're right, this is a difficult problem to deal with.

Please take a moment to rate my answers, that's how I get compensated. If you have more questions, I am happy to follow up with you.