Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I bought a 2001 impala 3800 LS about a month ago and the…

Customer Question
I bought a 2001...

I bought a 2001 impala 3800 LS about a month ago and the previous owner replaced the ignition sometime before they sold it to me. Im not sure what is wrong with my car but I think it may be a security issue due to the way it's acting. Day before yesterday I picked up my daughter from school and left the car running because it sounded like the starter was about to start giving me fits and I was worried that I wouldn't be able to start it again to get home. Well about an hour and a half latter we got home I ended up having to run back to town but when I went to start the car it wouldn't start. The electrical started glitching and went out. So I turned it off and tried again but this time there was no power to anything. We tried to jump it and that didn't work.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

It fluctuates. It actually started once later that evening and I let it run cuz my boyfriend thinks it's the alternator. So I let it run for about ten minutes and turned it off. Waited for a bit and then turned the key on and everything lit up like it had been when it wanted to so I tried to turn it over. It clicked once and lost power. I waited for about 5-10 minutes and tried to turn the key to on and still nothing lit up on the dash or anything. Now it did that same thing yesterday and again today. I just disconnected the battery and reconnected it and it lit up again but once I tried to turn it over it shut down again

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Impala yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I am doing what I can at least. So far I've done the front wheel bearing on drivers side and checked and changed some fuses. It still has front end trouble and from what I'm figuring it's tie rod ends, front driver side cv joint and possibly the transaxle.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just to let me know how to figure it out so I can get back to work, and thank u

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Chevy
9/29/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Chris (aka-Moose), Technician replied 10 months ago
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• Although I work here everyday, please understand it is not all day and rarely morning time.
  • To get the most from me and the best experience, please give me the best details you can.
  • The website will offer you a phone call option for more $$. Some I do fulfill and some I do not.
  • Thanks, let's get started. If I upload dropbox links, without the app use the box in the top right for direct download.

This will take some time to figure out but I believe we can do it. Do you have a volt meter and know how to use it?