Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I just changed my battery and now my radio is locked. I need…

Customer Question
I just changed my...

I just changed my battery and now my radio is locked. I need directions to unlock it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you changed a battery before?

Yest

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chevy?

1999 Chev trail blazer 4.3L

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Blazer yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. I just changed the battery and my radio is locked I need to unlock it. There are some steps but I don't recall them.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Chevy
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/28/2017
Chevy Mechanic: AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN replied 7 months ago
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

I found two different procedures to unlock the radio for your vehicle. I will post them below.

Here is the first one.

Press and hold the 2 and 3 buttons at the same time.

If a 4 digit number is ***** this is the 4 digit ID code.

If a 3 digit is displayed, document the number. Press the AM/FM button and a second 3 digit number will be displayed. This is the 6 digit ID code.

Call any GM dealership with the ID code. The dealership can now call an 800# ***** obtain an unlock code.

Enter the unlock code using the MN and HR buttons. Press the AM/FM button. Turn the key off. The radio is now unlocked.

Here is the second one.

Turn the ignition to the ON position.
LOC will appear.

Press MN and 000 will appear on the display.
Press MN again in order to make the last 2 digits agree with the code.
Press HR in order to make the first 1 or 2 digits agree with your code.
Press AM-FM after you have confirmed that the code matches the secret code.
The display will show SEC. The radio is now operable and secure. If the incorrect code is entered 8 times, INOP displays. In order to reenter the code, you must wait 1 hour with the ignition ON. When you try again, you will have 3 chances to enter the code before INOP displays.

Here is the procedure if you would like to disable the theft feature on the radio.

Use the following procedure in order to disable the theft-deterrent feature.

Important: Do not allow more than 15 seconds to pass between steps.

Turn the ignition to the ACCESSORY or RUN position.
Turn the radio off.
Press the 1 and 4 buttons together. Hold them down until SEC displays.
Press MN and 000 will display.
Press HR in order to make the first 1 or 2 digits agree with the code.
Press AM-FM after you confirm that the code matches the secret code.
The display still shows — indicating that the radio is no longer secure. If the code entered is incorrect, SEC will appear on the display. The radio will remain secured until the correct code is entered.

___________________________________________________________

I am glad I can help!

Please don't forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STARS or SMILEY FACES" for assisting you today.

Keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation at no further cost to you even after you rate my answer. Just reply back to me using this page and I will get it and get back to you ASAP!

I just ask that you allow time in between replies as I may be helping other customers or off line spending time with the family.

Also, if you are a member or if you have a subscription to the site, you still need to rate my answer in order for me to get credit for assisting you with your question.

You should see the rating system towards the top of the page.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks and have a great day!!

AMEDEE
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN