Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Just rebuilt my engine for my 81 Chevy, 305, there is a

Customer Question
clacking noise coming from the...
Just rebuilt my engine for my 81 Chevy, 305, there is a clacking noise coming from the right side it smells to be burning rich when started and flames shoot out of the carb I'm ready to burn it down. Please help!!
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Chevy
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/28/2017
Chevy Mechanic: kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech replied 8 months ago
kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech

What distributor are you using? Points or hei?

Hei

How did you adjust the rocker arms?

Haven't yet

Then the first thing you have to do is adjust them. Do you know how?

Also the carb is a rochester quad
I do not

Warm up the engine. remove the valve covers. Back one rocker arm nut off at a time till they start to clack. Slowly tighten the nut back down till you can not hear it clacking anymore. Then turn the nut 1/2 turn. Then do the next one till you have all of them done on that side. Then put the valve cover back on and do the other side.

And yes you have to adjust them with the engine running. Oil will splatter every where, so only pull one valve cover off at a time.

No clacking but got a bad knock in cylinder 2

What all new parts did you use when you rebuilt the engine?

All I did was new distributor
It was just a swap of engines I bought one.

Where did you get the engine from?

Bought it used from a guy up the road

If it is knocking then you have a very big problem. How bad is it knocking?

On a scale of good to bad....moderate to bad, it's not fixing to come thru the motor but it's not misable

Did you hear the engine run before you bought it?

No I didn't

Do you have an automatic trans in this truck?

The knocking can more be described like its being run on low
Oil

Lets see if you have the distributor in correctly first. Can you pull the spark plug out of cylinder one, and with a finger in the spark plug hole, turn the crank shaft with a socket and ratchet till you fell your finger being pushed out f the hole. This will be tdc on a compression stroke. line up the mark on the harmonic ballancer with the timing tab so it is at 8-10 degrees. Then pull the distributor cap off and lets see where the rotor button is pointing.

Already done that one, bought a timing light and took me 2 days but I've done that step

I was not finished. I am going to tell you how to set the timing with out a timing light to make sure that it is 100% correct. Please do as I asked.

Also I have another motor block was cracked but ran fine, cold welded the crack what do you think of this will it work?
ok

You will have a hard time welding the block with out taking it apart. The heat that it would take to weld the block up will damage the gaskets. Let me know when you have the cylinder 1 one up on a compression stroke and i will tell you how to set the timing.

Ok got it

Do you have the distributor cap off?

Yup

Can you send me a pic of the distributor please so I can see the rotor button?

Camera is busted on my phone

Look under the rotor button. The pick up coil is just under the base the rotor button is mounted to. There should be 8 triangles pointing in opposite directions. Are the tips of the triangles pointing directly at each other?

1 min pls
Yep

How do you have the spark plug wires run? They should be 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 in a clockwise direction.