Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2004 Chevy Malibu LS, and the T/C light has come on…

Customer Question
I have a 2004...

I have a 2004 Chevy Malibu LS, and the T/C light has come on along with the (I don't know what it's called, but it looks like a car outline with a wrench tool inside). Also, the car is telling me "Eng. Power Reduced" - and it is. What does all this mean and how do I get it fixed?

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

One light say "T/C and the other is a car outline with a wrench tool inside it

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Malibu yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have done nothing. Just tried to start it and these lights popped up, along with "Eng. Power Reduced"

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Can the mechanic also give an estimated guess of the cost to fix?

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Chevy
9/26/2017
Chevy Mechanic: AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN replied 10 months ago
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN

Hello and welcome!

My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question.

I am very sorry your having this issue with your vehicle.

I will try my best to answer all of your questions.

However, before we get started, please let me mention a few things.

1. If at any point you would like to speak on the phone, please feel free to request a phone call on your end and I can call you right away.

2. If you dont understand any technical terms or anything that I mention (component tests or theory or operation), please let me know and I will provide you with a more in debt explanation or answer.

3. Please understand that I am here to help.

This condition is caused by one of a few things. It could be a throttle body issue, fuel control sensor or even a wiring issue. You need to start by getting the codes in the computer scanned or pulled from the computer so you know what circuit or system the problem is on. Once you have that information, you can then fix it or replace the faulty component. It could be $600 to $700 to fix or as little as $100 bucks depending on what is wrong.

I am glad I can help!

Please don't forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STARS or SMILEY FACES" for assisting you today.

Keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation at no further cost to you even after you rate my answer. Just reply back to me using this page and I will get it and get back to you ASAP!

I just ask that you allow time in between replies as I may be helping other customers or off line spending time with the family.

Also, if you are a member or if you have a subscription to the site, you still need to rate my answer in order for me to get credit for assisting you with your question.

You should see the rating system towards the top of the page.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks and have a great day!!