Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

After a full brake pad change one of my calipers were left…

Customer Question
After a full brake...

After a full brake pad change one of my calipers were left loose for about three weeks. Can this cause a total brake system failure

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

Chevy tahoe ltz 2011

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Tahoe yourself? What have you tried so far?

No im not fixing it myself I'm curious cause the bolts had to be changed so I'm wondering if any damage was done

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No nothing else

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Chevy
9/25/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Ron Z., - Chevy Tech - replied 11 months ago
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Chevy Tech -

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. Thanks for coming! I'm Ron and I'll be working with you on your question today.

Are you referring to the caliper guide pin bolt that holds the caliper to the bracket?

Let me find out

Ok. Great. Thanks.

Is there a time limit on the phonecalls

My apologies. There are only a handful of Techs that take phone calls. Unfortunately, I am not one. If you'd like, we can continue here in Q&A chat and I can provide you with the information and help you need, and I can handle any follow-ups you may have. If you'd rather wait for a phone call, please accept the phone call offer and standby until an available Tech can take your call.

it was

Ok. Great. Thanks. Please give me one moment to type out some info for you. Sit tight one minute... I'll be right back!

Thanks for holding.

Ok. With the guide pin bolt left loose, this will not cause a "total" brake system failure. It can damage the guide pin itself, the caliper bracket, the caliper itself and/or cause premature or uneven wear of the brake pads. But more times than not, not a total failure. And usually not much more damage than the guide pin bolt and the bracket. If the bolts were to come out completely, and the caliper were allowed to fully release the piston, then this would be a major issue. Please be kind enough to leave a rating for our Q&A using the 'stars' at the top of the page or click 'Accept' when I have answered all your questions. A 5-star rating is very much appreciated! Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra.

Were there any other questions I could help you with today?

Chevy Mechanic: Ron Z., - Chevy Tech - replied 10 months ago

..

HI! I noticed this Q&A was still open, so I wanted to check in and see if there was anything else I could do for you on this? Any other questions you had? Any other info I can provide that may better assist?

I got the answer. stop emailing me now.
Thanks

You are receiving emails because you did not leave a rating for your answer. Please be kind enough to leave a rating for our Q&A using the 'stars' at the top of the page or click 'Accept' when I have answered all your questions. A 5-star rating is very much appreciated! Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra.