Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 1997 gmc savana 2500. Put in New transmission, new…

Customer Question
I have a 1997...

I have a 1997 gmc savana 2500. Put in New transmission, new wire harness, fuel pump, speed sensor and now speedometer runs way faster than what I'm going.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you certain it's the fuel pressure sensor that's in need of attention? What about the fuel rail? Have you checked it yet?

We also don't have a lot of power

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Savana yourself? What have you tried so far?

I'm helping my neighbor who used to work on gmc cars. We have changed spark plugs and have cleaned carbon out, replaced egr valve and we found the number 5 cylinder has burnt valve.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The speedometer was working fine before a mechanic had me replace the entire wiring harness.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Chevy
9/25/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 7 months ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Did the transmission come from the same model or was it the correct part number for your vehicle here?Same with the harness and speed sensor?

Let me know,thanks Pete

Correct part number, it is new as well as the harness.

It is a 5.7l v8

Have the tires been changed to a small tire at all?

No same tires. It also has a rough idle but the tune up has helped it a lot. The computer was also refurbished when wire harness was put on. That's when mechanic couldn't figure out speedometer and made me pick it up and get it out of garage.

Was the computer programmed to your model?If it was not programmed to your vehicle after it was installed this can cause this fault here.If it has incorrect programming in it from the last vehicle it was in or no programming at all this issue will occur.There are separate calibrations for certain functions and controls for your model and programming does have to be done.If this was already done let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

How would I know if it was programmed to my vehicle. That mechanic won't return my calls

The only way to check this or have it checked is to have a dealers Tech 2 scan tool plugged into your vehicle at the same time with the scan tool connected to their GM programming computer.They will check the programming calibrations to see if they are correct for your exact model and VIN and will reprogram as needed to resolve any issues.They will usually charge about an hours labor to have this checked and programmed.But if it was only installed and was not checked for the correct programming or programmed to your vehicle and you know all parts installed are correct for this model then I suspect programming is incorrect which is why the speedometer is off.The speed sensor sends the signal to the engine computer itself and then the computer sends it out to the anti lock brake computer and the speedometer.If programming is incorrect it will show an incorrect speed and can cause running or shifting issues.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time,this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Pete, Auto Service Technician