Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2010 chevy cobalt, I start the car and it is stuck in park,

Customer Question
turn the car off and...
2010 chevy cobalt, I start the car and it is stuck in park, turn the car off and the key gets stuck, I use the quick release button under the column to get the key out. I have no night time running lights, no dash lights and the service traction comes up on the display panel when I start the car. Someone said it could be the brake pedal switch, any ideas??
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Chevy
9/25/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician replied 10 months ago
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician

The key and the shifting are all tied together. The service traction message or light is probably also related.

The lighting is not directly related, but the one thing that they all have in common is that they are all controlled by the body control module. I would be looking at the BCM with a scan tool very closely to see if it has failed, or if there is something wrong with the inputs that are affecting the outputs, but my guess on this is that you have a bad BCM causing all of these problems.

Proper diagnosis is recommended, and a new BCM comes blank and will not work without correct programming, so for these reasons, this is a good job for your dealer mechanic to figure out and repair.

Please take a moment to rate my answers, that's how I get compensated. If you have further questions, I am happy to follow up with you.