Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

1999 chev 1/2 ton 4.8 v-8. starts fine and idles, put in…

Customer Question
1999 chev 1/2 ton...

1999 chev 1/2 ton 4.8 v-8. starts fine and idles, put in drive and accelerate, and the engine appears to be starving for fuel, let up on accelerator and engine returns.. about 1/4 throttle and the starving of fuel appears.

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

Bought truck at auction, no idea of mileage, does not put out black smoke.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '99 Chevy?

Silverado

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Silverado yourself? What have you tried so far?

Will try to fix myself. checked fuel pressure at idle, 60#, crack throttle open under hood , pressure drops to 45#, starvs and the pressure pops up to 60#

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Chevy
9/24/2017
Chevy Mechanic: BOBBYSS, Master Technician replied 8 months ago
BOBBYSS
BOBBYSS, Master Technician

Hello, my name is***** you tell me if the check engine light is coming on?

no
no the check engine lite is not on

Thank you. There are a lot of possible issues here. It sounds like a throttle position issue. Do you have a scan tool that reads live sensor data? It can also be a clog in the exhaust from a failing catalytic converter.

I do not have a live data sensor tool. how do i check for a plugged cat. where is throttle position sensor, is it on left side of throttle body?

You have a throttle sensor on the side of the throttle body. The cat is best checked with a back pressure tester at the oxygen sensor outlet. If you do not have one you can check engine vacuum. If you hold the engine rpm steady at 2000 rpm watch the engine vacuum. It should hold steady. If it starts tapering off then you have a clogged exhaust.

BOBBYSS
BOBBYSS
BOBBYSS, Master Technician