Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

I changed my Pittman arm on my 92 Silverado and now the turn

radius is unbalanced ( turns...
I changed my Pittman arm on my 92 Silverado and now the turn radius is unbalanced ( turns more turns to the right than the left ) and the steering wheel is off over 45 degrees.
JA: Do you have the car's service manual? Does the car have airbags?
Customer: Yes I have the manual and no it doesn't have air bags
JA: Are you fixing your Silverado yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: TrI'd to readjust the Pittman arm but it will only go in one way
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
9/24/2017
George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician

Hello I will help,

Sounds like you were off when you installed the arm.

Did you center the steering before you removed the old arm?

Did you compare the old to the new to be sure they were exactly the same?

I can't say for sure if the steering was perfectly centered before I started. And no I did not compare the two Pitman arms. I purchased a Moog pitman arm. Thought it was the best. I can't figure out a way for it to go back in any other way than the way it's in right now

Ok, there is a "blind spline" each quarter turn. Count the number of turns each directions from center and tuyrn it to the center position and if you pull the pitman in that position I think you will find you are 1/4 off of center.

Let me know if that is clear.

Thanks

Absolutely right. I am off one quarter of a turn. But I cannot get it to go in with the steering wheel straight. Because of the splines located at every quarter turn it will only go in one way. The wheels are pointing straight, but the wheel is already turned almost 90 degrees to the left and my turning radius is unbalanced

You need to remove it then turn so you can install it in the correct position.

I've tried that. The only way the pitman arm will go on to the spindle is with the steering wheel turned almost 90 degrees to the left.
Someone mentioned something about removing the pinch Bolt and turning the spindle inside the gearbox to match up with the grooves on the pitman arm. Would that be a viable solution? And if so where is the pinch bolt and how do I access it

No, you had the wheel straight before you replaced the arm and now it is off correct?

Just straighten the wheels, remove the arm and turn the wheel the direction that you have more than 1 half the turns so you can install the arm 1/4 turn that direction.

I did try that. Maybe I did it wrong. But once I remove the pitman arm from the shaft I can't turn the wheel because then the splines every quarter turn won't match up with the pitman arm

The splines should match each quarter turn.

First count the turns to center. One side will be more than the other then center the wheel. Remove the pitman and turn the wheel 1/4 turn that you had extra when you counted the turns and install the pitman. Once you do that you should be able to turn the wheel the same number of turns lock to lock. If you cannot install the arm or it does not correct the problem then compare it to your old one.

George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
George H.
George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician