Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Trying to remove downstream oxygen sensor, I don't think…

Trying to remove downstream oxygen...
Trying to remove downstream oxygen sensor , I don't think last time I placed the stuff around the threads. It will not budge placed lots of torque and stripped the nut a little bit. What would be the next step to get this off apply heat with a portable propane touch? 2005 Chevy Malibu 2.2
9/23/2017
Dan, Technician

Did you use oxygen sensor removal socket?

it will not budge.
I thought I was going to ruin the rxuast with so much torque I gave

You just need to give it more torque, you won't break anything. What I've done is use the oxygen sensor socket, ,then use a regular socket on top of the oxygen sensor socket so you can get at it from a good angle. Then use a pipe as a extension on the socket wrench for more leverage. Let me know how it goes or if you run into more questions. You can reply to this answer at any time without opening new questions, thanks.

Yeah I used a pipe and the socket still didn't budge. Started raining so had to pack up

Spray it down with some penetrating oil and let it sit over night then try again in the morning maybe with a longer pipe of needed. Let me know how it goes, thanks.

Thanks will try that again tomorrow just that the threads got a little warped

If you have a torch I'd heat it up. Or if you know someone who has a torch drive to their house and do it. Let me know how it goes, thanks.

Dan, Technician