Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2015 suburban and my second row seat wont fold. I…

Customer Question
I have a 2015...

I have a 2015 suburban and my second row seat wont fold

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Suburban yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am trouble shooting now, took the cover off on the side that wont unlatch

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It's the 60 side of the 60/40 bench seat

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Chevy
9/24/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician replied 8 months ago
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician

Do you still need help with this?

it still does not release on the far side by the /40 side.

Does the seat back fold down, or does it stay up? Trying to determine whether it's the seat back that won't fold down, or that the seat back folds down, but the whole seat won't flip forward.

Folds down but then wont flip forward and sometimes it will get stuck folded down unless I sit on top and the whole thing clicks back in place.

It sounds like one of the cables has stretched or come out of its holder.

Can I assume that you are beyond the factory warranty period on this? Because normally, I would recommend that you have the dealer fix it under warranty, unless your warranty has expired.

I just bought it used about 3 weeks ago, still have temp tags but i bought it 140 miles away from home.

I see. OK, like I said, it seems like one of the release cables is stretched, out of place, damaged, etc. There isn't really a service manual section that talks about dealing with this, I can give you the procedure to replace the cables, but the idea is going to be looking under the seat while operating the release, to see what cable isn't doing its job, and creating a repair strategy from there. A good visual diagnosis is necessary here, I am happy to help you with it as best I can, but what you see when looking under the seat will tell the tale.

I took the side cover off and still couldn't find a good angle to look at the cables and tried to manually pull one to get it to release and still couldn't. Any thoughts on how to get it to manually release so I can look at it from underneath?

The service manual is not very good in this regard, the drawings are not sufficient for me to figure out the best way to release it. I'd really have to put my eyes on it and "figure it out" for lack of a better phrase.

Even the procedure for replacing the latch starts by saying to release the seat. Well, if the seat doesn't release, that doesn't do us much good. Why do they think we're replacing the latch anyway? This is just one of those things that has to be invented in real time, on a case by case basis. Get creative with tools, etc. to see if you can fish something in there to release it, so you can see what part isn't working properly once it's open.