Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I put a new radio in my friend's truck and it worked for…

Customer Question
I put a new...

I put a new radio in my friend's truck and it worked for five minutes and faded out. I've the wiring harness twice. A mechanic said he doesn't think there's a factory amp in there. It gets really really hot, then just back to no sound again

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked all the fuses? Do you have a wiring diagram?

Checked the fuses. No wiring diagram.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chevy?

2003

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I am. When I removed the first harness I put in, it looked like maybe some wiring had gotten pinched during installation so I hoped that was the problem. Replaced it and the same thing happened again. Power, lights and controls all continue to work, just no sound

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Chevy
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/23/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician replied 11 months ago
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician

Do you need a wiring diagram? This truck may have an amplifier, depends on which entertainment system it came with from the factory. Can you reinstall the old radio and see if that works? If you need a schematic, I'll need the VIN so I get the right audio option.

The old one faded in and out for several weeks then stopped working but continued to have power.
I'm not at the truck right now but I'm pretty sure it's an upgraded system just not top tier and has the cassette deck option on the lower dash.
I think it's either factory amp is bad or speaker wiring short that's causing the extreme heat and loss of sound. For a minute, jiggling the wiring will cause spurts of sound. 1gcGk13U02ZF1260604 is vin