Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I am working on a 2000 oldsmobile alero and it surges when…

I am working on...

I am working on a 2000 oldsmobile alero and it surges when under a load like when ur climbing a hill. It surges around 2,500- 2,800 rpms. I replaced the fuel filter just yesterday and took it on a test drive and it was still doing it. I also replaced the MASS air flow sensor.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the engine stall right after starting? And what about hesitation or jerking during acceleration?

Some times it cranks for awhile before it starts, but it has power just maybe a little hesitation. Not really jerking on acceleration.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Alero yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. Its for my sister. I have replaced the fuel filter and the mass air flow sensor. I checked the air filter and it was good. The fuel filter seemed dirty. Another thing that the forums were saying is that it could be o2 sensor.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes. The check engine light is on and I did unhook the battery to clear the codes and the light came back on again. When I had it checked out at Auto Zone one of the codes came on for the o2 sensor. So am I safe to assume that it is the o2 sensor?

9/23/2017
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

Any chance you know the actual code number?

I dont remember what it was.

Does vehicle seem like it has a rpm limier such as not wanting to go above 3000 rpm?

Dan, Technician
It will go past 3000 rpms if you push the pedal down more.
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, AUTOMOTIVE TECHNICIAN
Phone call session started