Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Abs light is on but when I used a code reader the brake

Customer Question
Abs light is on...

Abs light is on but when I used a code reader the brake light went out and the abs stayed on

Mechanic's Assistant: Is it just the ABS light? Or is the brake system warning light on, too?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chevy?

Just abs 2007 chevy silverado

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Silverado yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I tried disconnecting the barrey

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Chevy
9/22/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Ivan Alvarez,
 replied 8 months ago
Ivan Alvarez

Welcome to just answer. Where you able to get any codes in abs system?

u0121
I replaced the abs module and the code U0121 is no longer there but the abs light is still on
Chevy Mechanic: Ivan Alvarez,
 replied 8 months ago

What kind of scan tool do you have?

digital can obd2
innova
Chevy Mechanic: Ivan Alvarez,
 replied 8 months ago

D​oes it give you an option to turn abs relay on and off?

no
you still there
Chevy Mechanic: Ivan Alvarez,
 replied 8 months ago

Y​es. When you scan it no codes are coming up for the abs system?

Chevy Mechanic: Ivan Alvarez,
 replied 8 months ago

A​ccess the two wire plug on the abs module. It will be one black wire and one red wire. Make sure you have a good ground on the black one and with the key on make sure you have power on the red wire.

I cleaned everything and sprayed contact cleaner on all connections and cleaned the ground connection
Chevy Mechanic: Ivan Alvarez,
 replied 8 months ago

Have you tested for voltage on the red wire? Where did you clean the ground connection?

no I didn't check the voltage and I cleaned the ground on the frame
Chevy Mechanic: Ivan Alvarez,
 replied 8 months ago

Double check you have voltage on the red wire with the key on.

ok
I have 12.08 volts at the module plug and a good ground to the frame 12.o8 volts to the frame ground
Chevy Mechanic: Ivan Alvarez,
 replied 8 months ago

Does the abs light come on as soon as you turn the truck on or after driving it?

as soon as the key is turned on
Chevy Mechanic: Ivan Alvarez,
 replied 8 months ago
When you start the truck does it go off at any point?
this chat doesn't seem to be helping at all
I have a good fuse I have power to the module, I have a new module installed , the code reader says no abs code and the light is still on SOOOO whats next???????????
Chevy Mechanic: Ivan Alvarez,
 replied 8 months ago

I​ have to ask these questions to get a good idea of whats going on. The light has certain functions and should light up when the key is turned on and when the vehicle is started but should turn off after a few seconds. I will release your queston so you can get a different techs help.

what more info do you need IVE told you everything
Chevy Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

something is going on with the abs system your code reader cant see, it looks like your going to need a better scanner to get to the root of the problem

what do you recamned

scanner wise? to buy?

scanner wise is that a name brand

https://www.harborfreight.com/autel-maxidas-automotive-diagnostic-and-analysis-system-62385.html

this is what I have and I love it,

does it do a good job on ABS resets
what model

this thing does everything and then some, it will even program keys and computers

wow $800 is a lot of cash

thats cheap for what that thing can do, most scanners with that capability are 3-5k, most shops have about a 10k scanner

.

Mechanic01
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician