Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2012 Cruze with the 1.4L engine and it has a

I have a 2012...

I have a 2012 Cruze with the 1.4L engine and it has a coolant leak. I was told it would not be covered because the leak was at a gasket. Could this be correct?

Mechanic's Assistant: How old are the hoses? And have you tested the actual mix of your coolant?

The car is a 2012 with 83,000 miles. No I did not test the mix. How can I do that?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Cruze yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, I would hope it would be included in the coolant leak recall.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That is all I know. Thank you.

9/22/2017
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Chevy Tech -

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. Thanks for coming! I'm Ron and I'll be working with you on your question today.

Can you tell me roughly where the coolant is leaking? Passenger's side? Front of vehicle?

I actually did not see a leak but was told at the time of an oil change. They also said there is an oil leak. Seems like a lot wrong for 80,000 miles, no?

Ok. Please hold one moment while I type out some information for you. Sit tight one minute... I'll be right back!

Thanks for holding!

Ok- If the coolant is leaking on the passenger's side of the engine, this is more than likely a leaking water pump. There "is" and extended warranty on the replacement of the pump... however... this is only covered if the leak is from the weep reservoir or from the water pump shaft seal. A close-up visual inspection should be able to tell. If the water pump gasket is leaking, then unfortunately, this is not covered. The issue with the water pump was a fairly big issue, so more than likely, it is the pump itself and not the gasket. But, again, like I say, a thorough inspection will need to be done to confirm.

As for the oil leak- there are many places the oil can be leaking from. Best bet here, if the leak source is not easily visible, is to add dye to to the engine oil. Then, using a black light and yellow glasses, they can follow the trail of the dye to the source of the leak.

Unfortunately, yes, to have an oil leak and a coolant leak at only 80,000 miles is a bit excessive.

Please be kind enough to leave a rating for our Q&A using the 'stars' at the top of the page or click 'Accept' when I have answered all your questions. A 5-star rating is very much appreciated! Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra.

Is an oil leak at the gasket ever caused by a defective casting of the engine or oil pan?

Unfortunately, more times than not... No. The oil leak, if at the oil pan, is usually a gasket issue. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news here!

Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Chevy Tech -
Ron Z.
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Chevy Tech -