Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Overheating on 2004 express box truck. Overflow bottle has…

Customer Question
Overheating on 2004 express...

Overheating on 2004 express box truck

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant? Have you checked for a leak in the cooling system?

Yes overflow bottle has also overflowed

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Express yourself? What have you tried so far?

Want to but don't know we're to start

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Chevy
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/22/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Roy, import/domestic specialest replied 8 months ago
Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

ok

possible causes

1. thermostat stuck closed

2. low coolant

3. clogged radiator fins not allowing cooling from air flow.

4. clogged radiator internally

5. failed head gasket from overheating. head gasket leaks compression into cooling system super heating the coolant.

Roy

How would you know if it were a failed head gasket? Do you have a image of the cooling sysrem?

you would need to do a leak down test. you remove all 8 plugs and insert the leak down tester in each cylinder one at a time. then you insert shop air into the cylinder and watch for coolant to come out of the cap.

Roy

Would coolant be in the oil?

over a period of time, yes. not if it just started.

that is if it is a bad head gasket.

head gasket failure is the result of overheating not the cause of overheating.

Roy

any update???

Roy
Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest