Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2004 cavalier. Im having an electrical issue. Ive…

I have a 2004...

I have a 2004 cavalier. Im having an electrical issue

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Cavalier yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. Ive replaced the battery 6 times and the alternator 4

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?

Yes i have. Good new battery. No leakage

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The trans wont shift. From a dead stop i can reach about 50 mph but ill be at 4k rpm. Im having trouble starting unless i charge the battery. The ac compressor wont kick on when it used to. Dash lights go crazy. All the lights come on and all the gauges drop. With the radio off and turning it sounds like i can hear thw power steering pump through the speakers.

Answered in 1 hour by:
9/22/2017
david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site. the PCM controls the alternator field and output. it controls the shifting points also. make sure all of the cables to and from the battery are free of corrosion. that means at the starter to. also to where the red cable goes into the fuse box, if all iss ok, then replace it. Ive seen this on these cavaliers over and over.

I had a feeling. But i just needed to make sure before i spent 200 on a part lol thank you sir

you're welcome. make sure you get it programmed too. Please note that customer satisfaction is my number one goal and rating this chat session 3 or more stars will keep the chat open for further follow up questions you may have. Also we can respond in this chat back and forth many times. I may be offline when you respond but I will promptly reply when I return.
Thank you for rating my assistance and for using Just Answer.

david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic
How do i rate you 3 stars?

thank you very much