Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

The steering wheel adjustment up/down on 2011 Chevy Cruize

LT will not lock it...
the steering wheel adjustment up/down on 2011 Chevy Cruize LT will not lock it in place. colum just moves up and down making it interesting to drive. it there a way to adjust it and can you provide the procedure and pictures. Thanks Roger
any luck on a response to the above question, been a few hours and have not heard anything?
9/22/2017
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• Although I work here everyday, please understand it is not all day and rarely morning time.
  • To get the most from me and the best experience, please give me the best details you can.
  • The website will offer you a phone call option for more $$. Some I do fulfill and some I do not.
  • Thanks, let's get started. If I upload dropbox links, without the app use the box in the top right for direct download.

Have you removed the steering column cover and inspected anything?

No have not tried to remove anything wanted to try and find at least a diagram so I had some idea of what I was getting into first. I am in Hawaii have no idea the time difference between us. It is 10pm here plus three hours to west coast six to east coast and I believe four to central. I can't wait till later if that is better for you.
That should have read I can wait till later if better for you. Sorry I did not catch that mistake before I went to bed. Roger

Big time difference I responded at my time 2:42am from Tennessee.

Here are the diagrams, they are not the greatest for the concern you have but they are the only ones being there is not a guide for your particular concern.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yosrqh8xjm9g0cp/steering1.pdf?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s1vdm0b2c2nkd59/steering2.pdf?dl=0

Can you give it a shot and get in there to see what is wrong. If you upload live pictures I can possibly point out the issue.

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5 star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

okay looked at pictures and looks like removing colum covers and maybe lower dash cover left side should give me access to the locking mech. I was thinking maybe a loose nut on a cam surface but do not see much from the pictures. do you have any place that explains how it operates that would help. my guess is some thing has just come loose.

Unfortunately those are the only pictures of the steering column. They stopped allowing techs to rebuild steering columns about 2005 and that is when the better diagrams went away as well. Once in there if you can get me some pictures I can point out and explain its operation better.

Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician