Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

92 chevy s10 blazer with a/c. Smoke comes off of heater

Customer Question
92 chevy s10 blazer...

92 chevy s10 blazer with a/c. Smoke comes off of heater control switch on vent, heat or defrost only and only when the fan switch is on the upper three speeds. Works fine on all A/C settings. Replaced both heater and blower relay. Resister checks out fine. The fan swt is four speed with no off setting. Any suggetions?

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?

180,000 and yes.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '92 Chevy?

92 chevy s10 blazer - sport

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

As listed before. Replaced heater and blower relays. Resister checks out.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just as I listed on the original contact. Short only happens on upper four speeds of fan switch and only if selector is in the vent, heater or defrost setting.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Chevy
9/22/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician replied 10 months ago
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician

The smoke is from heat, and the heat is from high resistance, and the high resistance is from poor contact at the switch connector. The blower draws a lot of amperage through this switch, so connection integrity is vital.

I would replace the wiring pigtail that connects to the blower switch, and potentially the blower switch as well, if it's melted or otherwise damaged. That should solve your issue. The heat is always present at the place where resistance is present, so if it's smoking at that connector, the problem is with that connector or those terminals.

Please take the time to rate my answers, that's how I get compensated. If you have further questions, I am happy to follow up with you.

Did you get this worked out?