Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

Red wire at ign switch no power. Constant. 2004 2500 6.0L…

Red wire at ign...

Red wire at ign switch no power.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

Constant

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chevy?

2004 2500 6.0L Gas

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 2500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Replace ign switch, bypass neutral switch, swap relays, all fuses good. Removed under hood fuse box, check wires under hood and dash.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No power to crank fuse. ABS light and e-brake light on. Lights go off when energizing red wire at switch, but truck still wont start.

Answered in 1 minute by:
9/21/2017
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

Are you looking for some possible causes or would you like me to walk you through this diagnoses?

I have been diagnosing for 3 days already. Its just a Chevy PU. I believe there are 2 power wires going to switch however only the red w/ white stripe is hot and red is not hot. I don't see any broken wires or blown fuse. I removed fuse box under hood and flipped up and checked all big red wires with test light were good. Start relay not clicking. Full power at #30 and switched power at other leg. Checked ground at back of motor with probe and ohm meter.

Thank you.

May I get the VIN please?

1GCGC23U14F153960

Thank you for the VIN.

So the red wire does NOT have voltage on it?

And the fuse that supplies this wire with power is good, correct?

Does THAT FUSE HAVE FULL BATTERY VOLTAGE ON IT?

both 40a fuse have voltage going to them and I ohmed out both fuses good. Wire coming out of fuse has power
Full voltage

I am glad I can help!

Please don't forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STARS or SMILEY FACES" for assisting you today.

Keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation at no further cost to you even after you rate my answer. Just reply back to me using this page and I will get it and get back to you ASAP!

I just ask that you allow time in between replies as I may be helping other customers or off line spending time with the family.

Also, if you are a member or if you have a subscription to the site, you still need to rate my answer in order for me to get credit for assisting you with your question.

You should see the rating system towards the top of the page.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks and have a great day!!

When I put power to the red wire at switch the ABS and ebrake light does not come on but it still don't crank up.

Ok, we need to start by getting power on that red wire and go from there.

OK I will keep digging under the dash to try to find a broken red wire.

Sounds good!

I am glad I can help!Please don't forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STARS or SMILEY FACES" for assisting you today.Keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation at no further cost to you even after you rate my answer. Just reply back to me using this page and I will get it and get back to you ASAP!I just ask that you allow time in between replies as I may be helping other customers oroff line spending time with the family.Also, if you are a member or if you have a subscription to the site, you still need to rate my answer in order for me to get credit for assisting you with your question.You should see the rating system towards the top of the page.Please let me know if you have any further questions.
My customer says that when he got in truck it just would not start and happened all at once.

YUP! Anything on that circuit that would prevent it from getting power could do this.

Do you have any further questions, sir?

How come the wire diagram don't show the red w/ white stripe wire. It is just showing one power wire going into switch. When you try to start the dash goes blank. No relay clicks no power to crank fuse. Headlights stay bright. Lower panel removed. I just don't see any bad wire yet. I really cant get to it where it goes through firewall. Neutral safety switch is bypassed with jumper wire going from pink confirmed hot to other end of connector green wire. I assume this is correct.

Would you be willing to speak on the phone?

I can lower the cost of the phone call down to $5 bucks.

AMEDEE
AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN
OK call my at(###) ###-####
AMEDEE
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN