Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Liftgate motor clutch not enguaging.new control module and…

Customer Question
Liftgate motor clutch not...

Liftgate motor clutch not enguaging.new control module and motor.

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?

Power liftgate clutch.not the trans

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chevy?

08 tahoe 5.3 engine

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Tahoe yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am a shop and the power liftgate is inop.the motor runs but the clutch will not enguage to open or close

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I have replaced module and motor already.i have also reprogrammed it

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Chevy
9/22/2017
Chevy Mechanic: GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician replied 10 months ago
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician

Hi there, I am Cam.

Was the motor and actuatoras a complete assembly replaced or just the motor by itself?

The complete unit was replaced.i have also engaged the clutch manually by sending power to it and it works fine but the module will not do it automatically.its almost like it's in failsafe mode or something.i have checked wiring and all but still no luck.
Chevy Mechanic: Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician replied 10 months ago
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician

Any trouble codes in the liftgate control module? Does the scan tool data indicate anything about what the liftgate is doing, clutch engaged, etc?

I'm getting a B396B-04 liftgate motor clutch circuit open.but the circuit checks out good because I have already jumped the clutch manually by sending power to it.

Did you jumper the clutch circuit at the liftgate module, or at the motor/clutch connector?

Or better yet, if you command it with a scan tool, does the module activate the clutch circuit?

I jumped it from the connector at the module. I was wondering if the park assist sensors would have anything to do with it because I just noticed that one of them has damage and the park assist light is on as well.

Reading through all of the park assist trouble code descriptions, there is nothing in there that indicates the liftgate would be affected by a park assist error, so I don't see a connection there.

Will the scan tool special functions command that circuit?

I did command it with the scan tool and same thing happens .motor runs but no movement.

Using the scan tool, do you have the ability to activate just the clutch circuit, so you can see whether power and ground is being applied to those circuits?

I can only command open or closed with my tool but I did have a volt meter connected while commanding and it showed 0 volts from the module

You should have power on two pins at the liftgate module. I just noticed this, and you may find this interesting: power comes from the fuses labeled LGM (lift gate module) and OBS DET (object detection). It appears that an open fuse for the object detection can absolutely impact lift gate operation. Are those fuses both good, and is there power present at the fuses and at pins 3 and 4 on the X2 connector of the LGM? Wire colors are red/black and red/white.

Just checked the fuses and those two wires and all is ok but still the same problem.just did another refresh with the latest software too.this one has got me stumped...

You have power on both of those circuits all the way to the LGM?

I do have power on those two wires. Now I'm wondering if anything could be wrong with the object sensor..

I know you ran an ohmmeter on those wires to the clutch circuit. You still have a code that says the circuit is open or shorted. How about running a headlight bulb to those two circuits, and see if the LGM will make the light bulb illuminate?

I found the problem. You might be intrested in knowing because this can possibly help you in the future.thanks for your time.you can call me at(###) ###-####.

I'd be interested to know, if you could type it here for me. I can't call from my location right now.

Please take a moment to rate my answers, that's how I get compensated. If you have further questions, I am happy to follow up with you.