Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2007 Avalanche has bad vibration between 40 to 55 MPH, had…

Customer Question
2007 Avalanche has bad...

2007 Avalanche has bad vibration between 40 to 55 MPH, had u-joints replaced, tires balanced and the issue is still there during acceleration. I tried it in 3 and D and it starts at 40 MPH

Mechanic's Assistant: How old are the tires? And have they been a problem in the past?

About a year old and I have not had problems with them

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Avalanche yourself? What have you tried so far?

Replaced U-Joints myelf, had alignment done, and tires rebalanced

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That would be it

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Chevy
9/21/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Don, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 months ago
Don
Don, ASE Certified Technician

hi there my name is don i will try to help you on this

can you tell me where you are feeling the vibration

under the seat ? does the steering wheel shake or vibrate

do you feel the vibration in front of you or behind you ?

thanks lets start there

Hello Don, I feel it between 40 to 55 MPH and it feels like the whole truck is shaking as I accelerate. I thought it was stronger coming from the back so I checked the u-joints out and a bar between 2 retaining pins fell off. I went ahead and replaced both the u-joints, then had a alignment done, and the tires rebalanced yesterday. The problem is still there so I tried it in 3 and in Drive and it happened at the same speeds. It didn't look there was any damage to the driveline and weights were there I didn't see where one might have fallen off. It's a 4 WD LTZ 2007 Avalanche with 176,000 miles.
I just drove the truck to get lunch and it is at it's worst at about 50 and I feel it in the steering wheel, under my seat, and the as pedal under my foot. I feel it is more towards the front of the vehicle.

hi there thanks for that great information '

does it only do it under acceleration ?

if you stay steady at 50 and do not go up or down ?

do have a *****shaft ?

does it only do it under acceleration ? Yes it stops when I get off the gas pedal
if you stay steady at 50 and do not go up or down ? It is steady from 37 MPH to 56 MPH
do have a*****shaft ? Yes with 2 new moog u-joints http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=387875&cc=1433406&jsn=523

hi there thanks for that information

your 4x4 is it manual or electronic

don

Electric it has a knob on the left side 2H A 4HL it is in 2H

hi there then i can assume that the front diff is turning as well

can you try this please put the truck in 4x4 and see if there is any difference in the vibration ?

and let me know

don

it did it in 4WD as well
Same speed as it did it in 2WD, got in the dirt for a second and the front tires are spinning.

hi there thanks for that great information

sorry for all the questions but i cannot see your vehicle so i have to go by process of elimination

have you checked the rotors to see if there is a lot of rust build up on them of mud in the holes ?

do you do any off roading with it ?

No problem with the questions I appreciate the help. I really don't do any off roading with it and the rotors and brake pads look good. I checked them out yesterday when they had the tires off for the rebalancing and they looked clean. I swapped out the rotors and the pads front and back about 9 months ago.

ok thanks again for your patience and all the information you are providing

does the vehicle have normal power or is it hesitating or stumbling abit when you press the gas at those speeds

to clarify my other statement about steady speed if you were to set the cruise at lets say at 45 miles per hour and take your foot off the gas once it the cruise takes over and reaches the programmed speed is the vibration still there or gone ?

one more question

does it do it as soon as you take off or after you traveled say a block or two

what is the climate where you are ? and temp at the moment

I haven't tried the cruise control but I stayed steady at 50 and it would only vibrate when I accelerated, as soon as I let off it would stop vibrating. It does it out of the gate and it will do it through my entire 45 min commute when I am between those speeds. I will try the cruise control when I leave the office today.
It's about 87 and sunny

ok thanks for that great information

have you had any engine work done ?

what was the last tune up ?

what i would like you to try is two things make sure your gas cap is ok

when you get home take a spray bottle fill it with warm water and with the engine running mist the cap and wires with water and see if it starts stumbling

and let me know

don

I haven't had any recent work done on the engine and I am thinking I have about 90,000 to 100,000 on these plugs and wires so I am thinking I am a little overdue on that. I will let you know how what happens when I mist the water on the wires and I don't have a cap I have a coil per spark plug.

hi there thanks for that great information i am kinda leading toward the electronics if week it may stumble

the coils are a good example i have had some working but not to peak capacity and stumble like a vibration

'

don

Morning Don, came home to find the AC was out in the house so I didn't get a chance to grab the spray bottle. I will do that tonight when I get home and let you know what it does. This morning I noticed that it also vibrates and makes a bit of a howling noise when I hit about 75 to 80mph.

is the howling coming from the back end of the truck ?

It seemed to be coming from the front. I went ahead and swapped out the plugs and wires and it is running better but i still have the same vibration.

there seems to be a few issues in your vehicle

so from my review of your latest answer after the change out of the plugs and wire the vehicle is definitely running better but the vibration is still there but a new occurrence is the howling in the front along with the vibration

i think now you have confirmed that the problem seems to be located in the front including the howling

i guess our next step would be check the level of fluid in the transfer case and front differential

it may be low causing the howling to occur . if it is i would change it and see if there is any metal coming out or silver colored oil

if all good there then i would check out the cv shafts and joints look to see if the boot is split allowing the dirt to enter

also have a good look at the tires jack the front end up and rotate the wheels see if you notice any up and down motion in the tire like its out of round

let me know

Don

GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician