Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicles A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air Conditioning systems
45790705

2012 chevy cruze. Vehicle over heated and blew head gasket.

2012 chevy cruze . Vehicle over heated and blew head gasket. Had head machined completely ( valve grind, resurfaced, checked for cracks ) . Put back together and am getting a lifter/valve noise. noise is loud when first start and slowly get less noisy to about 85% gone but clearly still there.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
ok

Hey how are you

did you replace the lifters, if it got to hot ,those lifters will collapse and want get pump up enough with oil to stop that Tapping you hear ?

any oil light coming on

lets start here and we go from there

do you have an oil pressure tester ?

did you take oil pan out and check for any sludge in it preventing the oil pressure build up to reach our lifters on top

now if you just did it ,at it goes away 85% then drive it 50 miles and see if the lifters pump up

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
I did not replace lifters.
Just did valve job but I have let it run at idle a total of about 1 hour and have drove the car about 10 miles.
The car only has 60k.
No oil light. took valve cover back off the check clearance in valve lash. there was 0 and the head had plenty of oil on it.
There is a oil flow check valve that goes in the block next to the middle exhaust head bolt that was broken when I pulled the head ( housing broken, spring in 3 pieces and the ball) No dealer in the country has this and none is being make at this time ( multiple chevy dealers) but the check valve is only to keep oil in head area on start ups (I could not put back in). I was told that it may start up noisy for about a second or two but the valve is not the problem with the noise after that.
This valve you referring to
To know for sure on that valve , do a oil pressure test
This is your specs
Oil pressure testing
Oil pressuer testing continues
Customer: replied 29 days ago.
ok I will do the oil pressure test

ok sounds good , will try to help you with it

Read below how to get back in touch with me and we continue then

You are very welcome :)

Please Read Below How to Get Back in touch with Me

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May Receive my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Appreciatted

Follow Up Questions are Included in The Price of Your Question ,So Feel Free To Ask Me.

Please Keep in Mind that when you Rate Me , it Does Not End our Conversation.

You Can Always Come Back to this Conversation and Ask Me any Follow up Question you May have on this Issue

(You can Copy this Link Page & Paste it in your Browser when Ready and it will Open up our Conversation Again)

or there should be a Tab on your Screen to Add me As Your Favorite Expert

I'm Online Daily from 7 Am Till Late Eastern Time Zone

Thank You
Chad Farhat