Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Both bearings fell out of my tilt wheel can i just put a…

Customer Question
Both bearings fell out...

Both bearings fell out of my tilt wheel can i just put a different set back in?

Mechanic's Assistant: Besides this, what condition is the car in?

Fair

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chevy?

89 s10 blazer

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

89 s10 blazer

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I am fixing the truck my self , when i went to replace the turn signal cam both of the bearings fell apart thats my problemb

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Chevy
9/21/2017
Chevy Mechanic: kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech replied 8 months ago
kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech

Can you send me a pic of the bearings and column please so I can see what is going on?

i can not at the very moment im using it for transportation. Just FYI i am mechanically inclined graduated and have a degree, just havent been that deep into a steering column! ive already lost break lights and my right turn signal , i know that its damaging the electrical in the cam , the schematic says the break switch wire runs threw the t/s switch ( white ) wire. I juts need to know if i can replace those two bearings easily ?

That all depends on the bearings. I do not know what bearings have fallen out so I can not answer that. When can you send me a couple of pics so I can see what is going on with you?

let me ask you this ! have you ever rebuilt a steering column or gotten that deep before?

I custom build columns. So yes I have and do.

Here is my problem. There are only two bearings in the whole column, one at the top and one at the bottom. So for you to say that there are two that fell out< I have to know what has fallen out.

ok awesome! well i cant give pics but the most forward bearings toward the wheel ive already cleaned it out to make sure i wasnt going to damage anything

Are you saying that two of the balls fell out of the top bearing?

well mine probably has 3 when you pull the keeper out you can only see the one in front and about 3/4" to 1" further back there is a slightly larger bearing both of those fell out. both plastic bearing races broke
tilt wheel !!!

I really need to see what you are talking about. There are no plastic bearings in this column.

they are ball bearings ina plastic retainer

So the balls fell out of the top bearing that fits under the spring below the lock ruing correct?

Those and the set behind

If you only lost two of the balls, then you should be ok. There really is not that much pressure on them, so I would not worry about it.

I didn't lose to ball bearings I lost two sets of bearings my question is can I just break it down and put other sets in there or is it just going to fail again

You are confusing me. You said that the balls fell out of the assembly. Now you are saying that the bearing itself fell out. I need to see what you are talking about. Please send me a pic for the part that you are asking about so I can see what you are talking about.

Well if you look at a diagram you will see that there are two sets of bearings before the tilt behind the spring and actually there are four bearing sets on this column

I give up. There are only two bearings in this column, one at the top and one at the base of the column. You refuse to send me a pic so I can see what you are doing so I can not help you.

I will opt out and see if there is someone that can.

kalamykid
kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech