Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a Corvette 2006 Z06 that has a check charge system…

Customer Question
I have a Corvette 2006...
I have a Corvette 2006 Z06 that has a check charge system message on the - Battery keeps dying charge indicates 14 Volts
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Chevy
9/20/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 9 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

Have you had the battery load tested yet? and when your checking the charging system how are you doing this?

That is the 3rd battery in one year and I see the charging system on the dashboard of the vehicle indicating 13.7 almost 14v
I change the alternator twice

so do you have a volt meter to check voltages?

do you have a check engine light on and have you inspected the wires and connectors for bad grounds or burns?

No I have not..
No check engine light

so with the car running what do you have on the sold red wire A, at generator , and I would also check the above listed checks as well, make sure there are no bad grounds, we can only check so much stuff with a volt meter than it will require a scanner for BCM testing

When it rains it pours battery died on the voltage tester going to change it out now

something sounds like a bad ground the more I think about it I would check all grounds in the charging system and on battery, it branches off to 3 different ones on the main ground, and take your time, sometimes these things happen

Do you have a diagram of where possibly these grounds may be? I cannot find a replacement 9 V battery for my voltage tester
But I don't have a charging issue I think . More so I believe the is power is being drained while the car is in the off position

All I have is a description and I miss read it wrong there are only 2 and it only says where one is located,ON RIGHT REAR OF ENGINE, BELOW ENGINE COOLANT TEMPERATURE SENSOR, so while the car is running do you have the charging message?

This website is not working properly
I am trying to send you pictures
While the car is running yes I do continue getting the message

so something is going on with that but if your battery is dying over night a draw test may reveal all the problems with the system, I would focus on that and see where you have the draw, do you know how to do the draw test? Of course you will need the voltmeter for that

I am curious to know alternator voltage when it is running though, at the alternator with a volt meter

I will get a battery tomorrow and a amp probe. I will unplug fuses till the flow stops... Is that correct??
I guess we will need to pick this up tomorrow??
How do I contact you tomorrow??

yes tomorrow is good and you can access this though your email at no extra charges, and we can talk for as long as you would like, and here is a great video on how to do a draw test

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRcj1fQcWwU

Ok.. ran the test
I have .1 on a 30 amp fuse and a.1 on a 15 amp fuse..
13.98v on alternator
Sorry.. 13.98 on battery
Alternator was over 14v

do you know which fuses these are?

it was the ecu and a/c compressor. but when I turned off the a/c it stopped. Now the drain is ok but the service charge system is still on and I blew a fuse, 15amp. I didnt see what it was for but this morning my horn didnt work?

you did the draw test with the key off right and waited for the computer to turn off ? 30 mins?

Chevy Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 months ago

Customer satisfaction is my number one goal. Giving me a 5 star rating would be appreciated very much .You can do this rating at the box on the upper right hand corner. This will not close our chat session and at no extra charge we will still be able to talk about any other issues you may have for free! Providing a rating is the only way I will receive credit for my work with you.

I am stil trying and no luck
I dont know what else to do?? If I take it to a dealer they charge hundreds just to tell you they cant fix it.