Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

The AC/heater on my 2011 Chevy Cruze is not operating. The…

Customer Question
The AC/heater on my...

The AC/heater on my 2011 Chevy Cruze is not operating. The switch and temperature lights operate and the digital display shows the fan and air flow positions but there is no air flow from the vents (in either AC or heater mode) and the compressor clutch does not engage.

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?

This is not the transmission clutch it is the AC compressor clutch.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Cruze yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am trying to see if I can fix it myself. I have checked all fuses and relays and they are OK.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I can't think of anything else.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Chevy
9/20/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 11 months ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Does your heater/ac control have the auto settings for auto temp controls or manual settings for hot cold?

Let me know,thanks Pete

The temp setting is manual by turning the temp control to the left for warmer and right for cooler.

Do you have a test light or multi meter to test electrical at all?

I have a meter that can read resistance, voltage and amperage.

O.k.,at the blower fan motor test for power ( at or near 12 volts DC ) on the red wire and ground on the black wire with the engine running and heater on full blast speed.Let me know what you come up with here.

OK, so how do I get to these wires? I also think it may be the blower motor resistor, so where is it located and how do I check it?

The blower motor is located under the dash on the drivers side as shown below.You can unplug the connector from it to test the wiring.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/59v8nif4hbxnj2l/b-09-20.gif?dl=0

Test for power at the red/brown wire at the blower resistor

Test for ground at the black wire at the resistor

Test for a fluctuating ground at the dark blue/gray wire with different blower speeds selected

If you have all signals at the blower motor then the blower motor needs replaced.If you have a loss of power or ground at the blower then test the signals for the resistor.If all signals are present at the resistor then the resistor needs replaced.

If you are missing the fluctuating ground signal at the resistor then the heater/ac control on the dash needs replaced.The resistor should be located near the blower.The wires that lead to the blower come from the resistor itself.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

There were 2 problems with your answer. First, the blower is on the passenger side, not the driver's side. Second, there were no instructions on how to get all of the covering parts, such as glove box, out of the way to access the blower motor. I will look somewhere else the next time I need help on car repair!
Chevy Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 10 months ago

I apologize I did mean to post passenger side as almost all blowers are on the passenger side on most all models.I dont even know how I posted that above.I could have posted some info on how to access it.I wasnt sure if you knew already.Some customers tend to know quite a bit already and some not so much.

If there is anything else I can help with let me know.

Thanks Pete