Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy c1500 4.3L been running rough for a while. since I am…

chevy c1500 4.3L been running...
chevy c1500 4.3L been running rough for a while. since I am having a lot of trouble with other vehicles, I have to try to get at least one reliable, this is the only vehicle Ive seen that has a "check gauges" light, I assume that is the high temp, but that usually will cool back down without doing anything Im guessing a sticky thermostat, but when it really starts coughing, it shows a check engine light and is not usually associated with the temp. I dont see where to hook up a scanner, and I am guessing its too old for the obd2 scaner, any help for me to start?
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/20/2017
Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician

Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.Ask me about added features such as phone contact anytime if you wish !

usually retarded timing will cause and engine to run really hot

and that is usually caused by a bad distributor which when they go back will retard the timing and cause these drivabilty issues

if the basic things of plugs and wires are good and the fuel filter is new or newer then most of these installing a reman distributor will correct these type of issues

please dont forget to rate me here at Justanswer

you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer

auto zone just gave me a chevy key with two probes to bridge 2 points and get a code to flash, but i dont fully understand where to put it or how exactly to read the code
can I look at the cap to know first if this is happening?

turn the key on and jump terminals A to B at the aldl connector and count the flashes for codes

the issue is the pick up coil and the module inside the distributer its cheaper to just swap it out vs changing those parts alone in your old distributer

Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician