Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

I have several things going on with my 1999 chevy silverado.

1. sluggish on acceleration, 2...
i have several things going on with my 1999 chevy silverado. 1. sluggish on acceleration, 2. catalyst efficiency, 3. secondary air injection reaction system, 4. 02S heater system time to activity, 5. exhaust gas recirculation system, 6.
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: yes it went from 320 miles per gallon to about 250 or so MPG. starting is fine for the most part, sometimes it seems like it is hesitant. I have noticed that when i put it in reverse a couple times it stalled but restarted right up
JA: Are you fixing your Silverado yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have not tried anything yet as I just looked up the items, so im trying to figure out what it could be?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: that's it for now
9/19/2017
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

It sounds like you have a clogged catalytic converter which would cause all of these problems. Completely remove the front oxygen sensors to relieve exhaust pressure, if that brings power back this proves converter is clogged and needs to be replaced. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will give this a try and let you know if I require additional questions.Thank you,

Sounds good, keep me updated. Thanks.

Dan, Technician
Dan, Technician