Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

AC will run for a while and then the air slowly diminishes,

AC will run for...

AC will run for a while and then the air slowly diminishes, I found that I can turn off the AC and leave the fan speed set as is and it will return to full blowing, I will then turn on AC and it will run cool again for a while. The time duration that it will continue to run full will be different each time and then slowly diminishes again.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant level? Have you checked for a leak in the radiator?

Yes, both are good.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chevy?

99 3500, Crew cab, 454 Vortex V8

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 3500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Have had mechanic check it and have started to address issue this method as they seem to be stuck. Suggested the computer board for the AC.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's it.

9/19/2017
Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

ok

from your description it sounds like the ac evaporator is icing up and restricting air flow.

is the evap drain clear allowing water to drain out??? if it is not, have it cleaned out.

also, do you have ac gauges to tell me what the ac high and low readings are when it stops blowing air???

Roy

Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest
No I don't have gauges. I thought that something might be freezing up as I would wait till it blows warmer air then turn AC back on and it works for a while and it doesn't have a consistent time line in how long that takes.
Phone call session started