Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Giving codes P0010, U0073, U0422-71, C0561-71; running rough…

Customer Question
Giving codes P0010, U0073...

Giving codes P0010, U0073, U0422-71, C0561-71; running rough and noise coming from left front brake area

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you metered out the ignition system?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '71 Chevy?

2013 Chevy Malibu

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Malibu yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing as of yet, trying to figure out where to start

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The electronic starter is not working either

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Chevy
9/19/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Jared D, ASE Certified Technician replied 9 months ago
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician

Good morning,

First, how long has it been since the last oil change?

How many miles are on the vehicle?

5000 miles since last oil change according to sticker from dealer and it has 86000 miles

I'm sorry for the delay. I'm having internet issue this morning.

The p0010 code usually indicates a problem with the timing. The timing on this engine is controlled by oil pressure. The quality of the oil and the quantity of oil would be the first thing to check.

Which engine do you have in your malibu?

2.5l had oil changed today and it is still acting like its skipping. The engine wants to cut off like it's not getting enough gas on take off and until you get up to speed then it levels out and drives fine

It sounds like the cam adjust solenoid is stuck or has failed. Either way it will need to be replaced. It's a fairly easy fix with some basic hand tools. Do you plan to fix it yourself?

Also, buy the way, the remote start is disabled any time the check engine light is on. It should start working again once we fix the solenoid problem and clear the check engine light.

my husband is going to fix it.

This is how you replace it. There are two solenoids right next to one another. The solenoid that is acting up on your car is the intake solenoid (according to those trouble codes).

It's the one on the backside of the engine near the firewall.

When purchasing the replacement part your best bet is to go with an ACDelco brand part. It will last the longest.

Can you tell me what size bit I need to get the cover off the top of the motor?

I believe it's a T25 or T20 but I can't remember off the top of my head. The repair manuals rarely list bolt sizes anymore. Let me see if I can find a picture online of the bolt.

It's not a torx, it's probably a 5mm or 6mm hex. An Allen wrench set should have one that will fit.

* Please take time to rate my response- as an expert I don't work directly for Just Answer- any resources I provide to you are furnished at my own personal expense. I only receive compensation based on positive ratings from you. Therefore, I cannot offer my time, insights, advice, diagrams, etc, without that positive rating. If you are unable to positively rate my response please let me know. After rating I will still be available for follow-up questions at no additional charge.

Chevy Mechanic: Jared D, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 months ago