Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Hold light and check engine lights came on. Transmission…

Hold light and check...

Hold light and check engine lights came on. Transmission seems to be shifting up and down at inappropriate times

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

To be honest, i don't know...my son experienced this problem last night and immediately pulled over and had it towed home. I am going to help him take a look tomorrow

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chevy?

2009 Aveo

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Aveo yourself? What have you tried so far?

We're going to try to diagnose and fix it. We plan on disconnecting the batter for 15 min. to reset the system, changing the air filter and checking the air intake for leaks

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I can't think of anything

I checked with my son, and the hold light was blinking last night, but is off now. Engine runs smooth at idle, but they haven't driven it to see if the shifting problem is persisting
He also said the check engine light is still on. It is slow to start, then sputters for a minute then the idle smooths out
then sits at 1000rpm
9/17/2017
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

When the hold light flashes it usually means the thermostat is failing, if thermostat is sticking open it can cause engine to run cooler then it should causing erratic shifting of transmission. The transmission is designed to shifter at higher rpm's when cold which is why it could be effected. But before assuming anything I'd start by having diagnostic codes checked which can be done for free at your local parts store. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Awesome! We're particularly interested in a checklist of cheap or free things we can try before resorting to taking it in for a diagnosis. It's a high school student's new-to-him car, and he blow most of his money on the purchase
Okay. I've read that the air intake can also effect the AT? Is there anything besides changing the air filter and checking for leaks that we might do? What kind of code will we get if it IS the thermostat?

I've never seen a problem with intake cause hold light to flash but thermostat has many times. If thermostat was problem you would most likely get a P0128 code. You can reply to this answer at any time without additional fees once you get codes checked so let me know if you run into questions, thanks.

The code came back P 00 B 7.

This usually means the thermostat or radiator cap has failed so I'd start by replacing radiator cap with one from dealership and if that doesn't help I'd recommend replacing thermostat and thermostat housing. Make sure to use AC Delco brand thermostat. This code sets when the ECM detected that the difference between the RCT and ECT sensor signals was 113ºF with the ECT sensor signal more than 242°F. Let me know if you have more questions, please do not forget to rate answer. Thanks.

Dan, Technician
Looks like you were right...It all points to thermostat. In addition to the above, driving it home 2 miles from the auto parts store, the temp gauge went through the roof. Max rating for you. Thanks for your help.
Dan, Technician